The Tupelo Symphony Orchestra, with one of the country’s top tenors as a soloist, put on a first-class performance Sunday in the Cine Theater of the Magnolia Civic Center.
The concert, labeled “A Broadway Salute to the Troops,” included a selection of patriotic music and Broadway favorites.
Steve Amerson, the guest soloist, has been labeled “America’s Tenor” and has sung in dozens, perhaps hundreds, of major concert performances throughout the country, including with the Los Angeles Philharmonic and the Los Angeles Master Corale. In other words, he’s famous and he was on stage in New Albany, Mississippi.
It was a great afternoon for music and song and perhaps a few more than 200 people turned out. We suppose we should be happy with that, but we’re not. More than that number show up on a Sunday at several of our local churches.
There really is no reason that the theater should not have been sold out. This was not high-brow classical music. It was a patriotic/pops concert that even included the country music standard, “God Bless the USA.”
The good news is that through the efforts of a new support group, the New Albany/Union County Symphony League, the concert not only was self-supporting, but actually made money. Ticket sales, even if the event were sold out, do not cover the costs of bringing the orchestra and soloist here.
It’s a tribute to the group’s hard work that 80 businesses, organizations and individuals contributed money to make the concert happen. We congratulate the Symphony League committee: Jean Ashcraft, Tom Coltharp, Lanta Craig, Collett Cross, Dewey Davidson, Joanne Lesley and Joyce Sumners.
We look forward to next year’s visit by the symphony.
About Chris Elkins
- Alligator hunting permits go on sale July 19 July 20, 2016
- Ellistown Breezes July 21, 2016
- Hurricane news July 21, 2016
- Returning champs win in domino contest at fair July 21, 2016
- Prayer session was step in right direction July 21, 2016
- Beating the heat July 21, 2016
- Reactions mixed over school ratings July 21, 2016
- New Albany Main Street Association receives 2016 national Main Street accreditation July 21, 2016
- Passion for caring motivates new doctor Matthew Rhinewalt July 21, 2016
- Has city got a deal for you! July 21, 2016
- Miranda Mora: my boss was needing CMS-40B earlier today and saw ...
- BRYNN11SCHMIDT: my family was looking for CMS-40B earlier today an...
- janifar soloman: Our experts know all the perfect way to solve your...
- GerryGorel820: I totally agree with the all questions you raised....
- PHYLLIS OPPERMAN: Savvy suggestions , I Appreciate the facts - Does ...