Analyzing our assets
A team of specialists from the Mississippi Development Authority has analyzed New Albany’s assets and attractiveness to visitors, as well as potential manufacturers and developers.
While generally praising New Albany’s downtown, parks, the Union County Heritage Museum, and Baptist Memorial Hospital, the group suggested a number of “tweaks” to improve community attractiveness and signage for visitors.
Diane O’Toole, who headed the state group, said the downtown exit off U.S. 78 (Interstate 22) needs to be developed at the “gateway” to the city. She suggested working with the state to landscape the exit, keep the grass mowed, and develop and enforce uniform building codes along the route (Carter Avenue) downtown.
She recommended improving signage to downtown, the museum and parks by installing upscale, attractive signs featuring the logo already on New Albany’s entrance signs.
The group recommended brick pedestrian crosswalks downtown, landscaped curb cuts and installation of larger flag pennants and extend the pennants and decorative lighting west beyond the Tallahatchie River.
“Pretty sells, ugly don’t,” she told the audience at the Union County Development Association annual meeting last week.
The group also suggested other things, including designating the Highway 30 exit at U.S. 78 as the “medical corridor,” promoting the Bankhead Highway and the Tanglefoot Trail for tourism, and pushing expansion of the museum.
We support all of the recommendations made by the Development Authority. None are beyond the long-term means of the city; the problem is malaise, not money.
About Chris Elkins
- Watkins is DAISY nursing award winner November 29, 2016
- Myrtle Christmas parade will be Friday night November 29, 2016
- Community holiday meal expected to feed 1,200 Dec. 17 November 29, 2016
- Eastern Lights December 1, 2016
- New Albany Garden Club December 1, 2016
- Chamberlin loses county but wins election December 1, 2016
- Finally, no flooding December 1, 2016
- Myrtle Tree of Hope to add local children December 1, 2016
- Library program offers book gift idea for the holidays December 1, 2016
- NA Christmas parade may still be in the works December 1, 2016
- Myke Britt: Someone asked "what has happened to our country"...
- Nonie: Margaret Gwendolyn Roberts McCraw - My Aunt Margar...
- Caleb Frederick: This is a great idea!...
- jonathan makeley: Jim Hedges 2016 If you are interested in joining t...
- Jim Hall: i'v read both of mr. coffeys' books, love them b...