Analyzing our assets
A team of specialists from the Mississippi Development Authority has analyzed New Albany’s assets and attractiveness to visitors, as well as potential manufacturers and developers.
While generally praising New Albany’s downtown, parks, the Union County Heritage Museum, and Baptist Memorial Hospital, the group suggested a number of “tweaks” to improve community attractiveness and signage for visitors.
Diane O’Toole, who headed the state group, said the downtown exit off U.S. 78 (Interstate 22) needs to be developed at the “gateway” to the city. She suggested working with the state to landscape the exit, keep the grass mowed, and develop and enforce uniform building codes along the route (Carter Avenue) downtown.
She recommended improving signage to downtown, the museum and parks by installing upscale, attractive signs featuring the logo already on New Albany’s entrance signs.
The group recommended brick pedestrian crosswalks downtown, landscaped curb cuts and installation of larger flag pennants and extend the pennants and decorative lighting west beyond the Tallahatchie River.
“Pretty sells, ugly don’t,” she told the audience at the Union County Development Association annual meeting last week.
The group also suggested other things, including designating the Highway 30 exit at U.S. 78 as the “medical corridor,” promoting the Bankhead Highway and the Tanglefoot Trail for tourism, and pushing expansion of the museum.
We support all of the recommendations made by the Development Authority. None are beyond the long-term means of the city; the problem is malaise, not money.
About Chris Elkins
- Urchins run over Royals September 24, 2016
- Eastern Lights September 29, 2016
- The Playhouse September 29, 2016
- New web site allows better public access to campaign finance reports September 29, 2016
- Church honors first responders September 29, 2016
- East Union opens division play at Byers September 30, 2016
- Headed to postseason September 30, 2016
- East Union Attendance Center 2016 Homecoming Court September 29, 2016
- City sales revenue continues upswing September 29, 2016
- First solar energy farm here gets PSC approval September 29, 2016
- Jim Hall: i'v read both of mr. coffeys' books, love them b...
- Seth Vincent Flake: New Albany and the people behind the scenes are do...
- Jeremy Cable: They also need to allow for a more eclectic musica...
- Darren Byles: Better yet, why aren't they punished for not foll...
- Darren Byles: "According to Strawn, Union County schools receiv...