Falcons top Myrtle for division lead
The first wave of division games have passed, and Ingomar finds itself in a good position after defeating Myrtle, 7-2, on Saturday.
Having already defeated West Union last month, the Falcons sit atop the Division 2-1A standings and can take the division title with wins over both ball clubs again this week.
“The first round is gone, but it’s still going to be a dogfight,” Ingomar coach Andy Wilbanks said. “It always is with the three of us; you never know what will happen.”
Against the Hawks on Saturday, Austin Sanders threw a complete game, picking up the win on the mound. The junior allowed two runs, while striking out nine Myrtle batters.
“It wasn’t really pretty, but we scratched a few outs and took advantage of some mistakes, and we made some mistakes that they took advantage of,” Wilbanks said. “I thought the one area where we stood out was Austin Sanders. He had a good game, and had a great mental approach today to get it done for us.”
Ingomar scored its first run in the opening inning and maintained the 1-0 advantage until Myrtle scored on an error in the fourth inning. Tied at one in the fifth, the Falcons answered, loading the bases in each of the final three innings, walking in runs in the sixth and seventh. Matt Browning had two hits for the Falcons, including an RBI single in the seventh.
Ingomar and Myrtle will play again on Tuesday at Ingomar, and after Sanders’ performance, Wilbanks hopes to string together a good pitching performance for this week’s games.
“It’s going to be tough, so we’re looking to piece a few together,” he said. “Sanders is probably spent, but we’ll look to (Josh) Thompson, (Chance) Maxey and maybe (Tyler) Dowdy a little; we’re just going to do what we can.”
Myrtle had hits from Austin Floyd, Brandon Perkins, Anthony Lipsey and Brandon Jordan in the loss.
Ingomar will host West Union this Friday and will close out division play against H. W. Byers and Coldwater later this month.
About Chris Elkins
- Alligator hunting permits go on sale July 19 July 20, 2016
- Ellistown Breezes July 21, 2016
- Hurricane news July 21, 2016
- Returning champs win in domino contest at fair July 21, 2016
- Prayer session was step in right direction July 21, 2016
- Beating the heat July 21, 2016
- Reactions mixed over school ratings July 21, 2016
- New Albany Main Street Association receives 2016 national Main Street accreditation July 21, 2016
- Passion for caring motivates new doctor Matthew Rhinewalt July 21, 2016
- Has city got a deal for you! July 21, 2016
- Miranda Mora: my boss was needing CMS-40B earlier today and saw ...
- BRYNN11SCHMIDT: my family was looking for CMS-40B earlier today an...
- janifar soloman: Our experts know all the perfect way to solve your...
- GerryGorel820: I totally agree with the all questions you raised....
- PHYLLIS OPPERMAN: Savvy suggestions , I Appreciate the facts - Does ...