Pipe dream to reality
Getting Dr. Charles Garrett to head up the establishment of the Wellspring Center for Professional Futures is a coup for the CREATE Foundation and its Toyota Education Enhancement Advisory Committee.
By luring the New Albany Schools superintendent to take the job, the committee has greatly increased the chances that the center will be successfully developed.
The center, to be built across Interstate 22 (U.S. 78) from the Toyota manufacturing plant in Union County, will be supported by earnings from the $50 million Endowment Fund Toyota agreed to create as part of the manufacturing plant package.
It’s no secret that the school project has been floundering. It will take at least $35 million to construct the center, and so far none of that money has been committed from federal, state or private sources. The state legislature is considering a $6 million appropriation as part of a state bond bill.
And school officials in the region have given the idea only tepid – at best – support, and have questioned whether the logistics can be worked out to get students from their schools to the advanced career center for part of the school day.
Now, CREATE and the committee will have what they have needed – a state-wide respected and influential school leader with a reputation for hard work, strong ethics, practical thinking, and a way of getting things done without being divisive.
Moving the Wellspring Center from a pipe dream to a nationally acclaimed show place for career development is a daunting task. We think Chuck Garrett is the right person for the job.
About Chris Elkins
- New Legion Auxiliary officers July 27, 2016
- The Playhouse July 28, 2016
- Eastern Lights July 28, 2016
- Ellistown Breezes July 28, 2016
- Cora Sanders turns 98 July 28, 2016
- Youth production to ‘dazzle’ audience this weekend with selections from Disney markings. July 28, 2016
- Martintown bridge complete, road open again July 28, 2016
- There is much we didn’t know about millionaire Paul Rainey July 28, 2016
- Young Valley to bring ‘alt-country’ sound to weekend concert series July 28, 2016
- ‘Paid in Full’ to give 25th anniversary concert July 28, 2016
- Miranda Mora: my boss was needing CMS-40B earlier today and saw ...
- BRYNN11SCHMIDT: my family was looking for CMS-40B earlier today an...
- janifar soloman: Our experts know all the perfect way to solve your...
- GerryGorel820: I totally agree with the all questions you raised....
- PHYLLIS OPPERMAN: Savvy suggestions , I Appreciate the facts - Does ...
Subscribe to Blog via Email
- Youth production to ‘dazzle’ audience this weekend with selections from Disney markings.
- Martintown bridge complete, road open again
- There is much we didn’t know about millionaire Paul Rainey
- Young Valley to bring ‘alt-country’ sound to weekend concert series
- ‘Paid in Full’ to give 25th anniversary concert