Town hall meeting
A community town hall meeting has been scheduled for 6 p.m. next Tuesday to discuss efforts under way to better provide health and education services to children up through age 5.
The meeting, in the theater at the Magnolia Civic Center, is sponsored by the New Albany/Union County Early Childhood Coalition, which is promoting becoming an “Excel by 5” community. (The Gazette is part of the coalition.)
Excel by 5 means just that. It’s an effort to get children from birth to age 5 healthier and better prepared for school. It identifies community needs and coordinates programs to fulfill them.
Mississippi school children lag near the bottom among the states in education performance and a key reason is that many arrive at kindergarten and first grade unprepared for learning.
Most never catch up to the level of other children and the result affects lots of things over time: the earning level of our citizens, the tax revenues available in the state and the overall economic development of the state.
The coalition includes people representing education, child-care centers, healthcare, business and local government. It already has identified some projects. One is starting a resource center for parents at the New Albany campus of Northeast Mississippi Community College. Another, put together by Baptist Memorial Hospital-Union County, expands the hospital’s annual Back-to-School Health Fair to include materials for age 5 and younger.
You can get more information about Excel by 5, and contribute your ideas, at the town hall meeting. We hope to see you there.
About Chris Elkins
- County budget adopted with no change September 22, 2016
- Ellistown Breezes September 22, 2016
- Urchins come from behind to take down Bears September 22, 2016
- Union County runners enjoy top five finishes at Saltillo XC meet September 22, 2016
- First inning flurry leads to West Union win September 22, 2016
- Lady Urchins bomb Baldwyn in division play September 22, 2016
- School board races shaping up September 22, 2016
- Bank donates clock to Cooper Park September 22, 2016
- County still among lowest in unemployment September 22, 2016
- Faulkner readers urged to just ‘keep on goin’ September 22, 2016
- Seth Vincent Flake: New Albany and the people behind the scenes are do...
- Jeremy Cable: They also need to allow for a more eclectic musica...
- Darren Byles: Better yet, why aren't they punished for not foll...
- Darren Byles: "According to Strawn, Union County schools receiv...
- Lego MiniFaulkner: Also worth a look: http://www.knightsgambitvineyar...