Myrtle man charged with dealing cocaine
Local law enforcement officials believe they have taken one of Union County’s long-time drug dealers off the streets.
Investigators with the Union County Sheriff’s Department and the New Albany Police Department arrested Dwight Gilbert, 50, of 1055 County Road 54 in Myrtle at 8 p.m. Monday for allegedly selling cocaine for an extended period of time.
Union County Sheriff Jimmy Edwards said the arrest was the culmination of a three-month-long investigation.
“We believe this arrest has gotten one of the county’s big drug dealers off the streets,” Edwards said.
Edwards said that investigators seized eight grams of cocaine, along with $250 in cash and two four-wheelers when they executed a search warrant of Gilbert’s residence Monday.
“We have intelligence that leads us to believe that he had been selling cocaine on a daily basis for a long time,” Edwards said. “We believe he had been using the four-wheelers to go and make deliveries or meet up with people to sell the cocaine.”
Edwards said that he has been officially been charged with sale of cocaine and possession of cocaine with intent to sell. Gilbert is expected to be held without bond by the Mississippi Department of Corrections, due to the fact that he was out on parole for a similar charge at the time of the arrest.
“We think that there is the potential that Gilbert could be declared a habitual offender, which would only compound his charges and possible sentencing if he’s found guilty,” Edwards said.
One count of the sale of cocaine could carry up to 30 years in prison, Edwards said.
The sheriff went on to say that investigators expect to make one more arrest in this case by the end of this week.
About Chris Elkins
- New Legion Auxiliary officers July 27, 2016
- Eastern Lights July 28, 2016
- Ellistown Breezes July 28, 2016
- Cora Sanders turns 98 July 28, 2016
- Baptist Union County selects Service First Champion July 28, 2016
- Baptist Union County’s HealthPlex transitions to new owner July 29, 2016
- Youth production to ‘dazzle’ audience this weekend with selections from Disney markings. July 28, 2016
- Martintown bridge complete, road open again July 28, 2016
- There is much we didn’t know about millionaire Paul Rainey July 28, 2016
- Young Valley to bring ‘alt-country’ sound to weekend concert series July 28, 2016
- Miranda Mora: my boss was needing CMS-40B earlier today and saw ...
- BRYNN11SCHMIDT: my family was looking for CMS-40B earlier today an...
- janifar soloman: Our experts know all the perfect way to solve your...
- GerryGorel820: I totally agree with the all questions you raised....
- PHYLLIS OPPERMAN: Savvy suggestions , I Appreciate the facts - Does ...
Subscribe to Blog via Email
- Baptist Union County’s HealthPlex transitions to new owner
- Youth production to ‘dazzle’ audience this weekend with selections from Disney markings.
- Martintown bridge complete, road open again
- There is much we didn’t know about millionaire Paul Rainey
- Young Valley to bring ‘alt-country’ sound to weekend concert series