NAHS tennis wins fifth district title
New Albany tennis picked up its fifth consecutive division tournament this year, going undefeated in district play. Having only lost to Oxford this season, the Bulldogs opened the postseason, competing in its district match at Oxford last Thursday and opening the team playoffs against Houston last Saturday.
In the district match at Oxford, five groups advanced to the state tournament as individuals. The boys doubles team of Cam Clark and Thomas Mills defeated Lafayette (6-4, 6-3) to earn the top seed. Also earning top seeds were Mark Robbins and Savannah Horgan, who each defeated Lewisburg in the singles championships. Robbins won his match (7-6, 6-4), while Horgan won on the girls’ side (6-3, 4-6, 6-2).
Going to state as the number two seeds are the girls’ doubles group of Molly Morris and Elleigh Hall, who defeated teammates Olivia Dunnam and Hannah Anderson (6-4, 5-7, 6-1) to advance. The mixed doubles team of Josh Creekmore and Maegan Trexler fell to Lafayette in the championship (6-0, 6-1), but will advance as the number two seed.
The state tournament for individuals will be held in Jackson on May 7-8.
In the first round of the team playoffs, the Bulldogs defeated Houston, 7-0, to advance to the second round.
Robbins defeated Chase Aldridge (6-1, 6-0), Horgan defeated Charlsi Allen (6-0, 6-0), Clark and Mills defeated Everett Dardy and Walt Harrington (6-4, 6-3), Christopher and Christian Scott defeated Lane Barrdon and Ezra Blissard (6-4, 6-3), Morris and Hall defeated Nikki Baird and Makayla Pullen (6-3, 6-2), Dunnam and Anderson won in default over Whitney George and Paige Griffin and Creekmore and Trexler defeated Holly Powell and Dylan Moore (6-0, 6-1).
New Albany will travel for the second round of the team playoffs this Friday, April 27, taking on Corinth. A win over the Warriors would give New Albany a chance to host next week’s north half tournament.
About Chris Elkins
- New Legion Auxiliary officers July 27, 2016
- Eastern Lights July 28, 2016
- Ellistown Breezes July 28, 2016
- Cora Sanders turns 98 July 28, 2016
- Baptist Union County selects Service First Champion July 28, 2016
- Baptist Union County’s HealthPlex transitions to new owner July 29, 2016
- Youth production to ‘dazzle’ audience this weekend with selections from Disney markings. July 28, 2016
- Martintown bridge complete, road open again July 28, 2016
- There is much we didn’t know about millionaire Paul Rainey July 28, 2016
- Young Valley to bring ‘alt-country’ sound to weekend concert series July 28, 2016
- Miranda Mora: my boss was needing CMS-40B earlier today and saw ...
- BRYNN11SCHMIDT: my family was looking for CMS-40B earlier today an...
- janifar soloman: Our experts know all the perfect way to solve your...
- GerryGorel820: I totally agree with the all questions you raised....
- PHYLLIS OPPERMAN: Savvy suggestions , I Appreciate the facts - Does ...
Subscribe to Blog via Email
- Baptist Union County’s HealthPlex transitions to new owner
- Youth production to ‘dazzle’ audience this weekend with selections from Disney markings.
- Martintown bridge complete, road open again
- There is much we didn’t know about millionaire Paul Rainey
- Young Valley to bring ‘alt-country’ sound to weekend concert series