NAHS tennis wins fifth district title
New Albany tennis picked up its fifth consecutive division tournament this year, going undefeated in district play. Having only lost to Oxford this season, the Bulldogs opened the postseason, competing in its district match at Oxford last Thursday and opening the team playoffs against Houston last Saturday.
In the district match at Oxford, five groups advanced to the state tournament as individuals. The boys doubles team of Cam Clark and Thomas Mills defeated Lafayette (6-4, 6-3) to earn the top seed. Also earning top seeds were Mark Robbins and Savannah Horgan, who each defeated Lewisburg in the singles championships. Robbins won his match (7-6, 6-4), while Horgan won on the girls’ side (6-3, 4-6, 6-2).
Going to state as the number two seeds are the girls’ doubles group of Molly Morris and Elleigh Hall, who defeated teammates Olivia Dunnam and Hannah Anderson (6-4, 5-7, 6-1) to advance. The mixed doubles team of Josh Creekmore and Maegan Trexler fell to Lafayette in the championship (6-0, 6-1), but will advance as the number two seed.
The state tournament for individuals will be held in Jackson on May 7-8.
In the first round of the team playoffs, the Bulldogs defeated Houston, 7-0, to advance to the second round.
Robbins defeated Chase Aldridge (6-1, 6-0), Horgan defeated Charlsi Allen (6-0, 6-0), Clark and Mills defeated Everett Dardy and Walt Harrington (6-4, 6-3), Christopher and Christian Scott defeated Lane Barrdon and Ezra Blissard (6-4, 6-3), Morris and Hall defeated Nikki Baird and Makayla Pullen (6-3, 6-2), Dunnam and Anderson won in default over Whitney George and Paige Griffin and Creekmore and Trexler defeated Holly Powell and Dylan Moore (6-0, 6-1).
New Albany will travel for the second round of the team playoffs this Friday, April 27, taking on Corinth. A win over the Warriors would give New Albany a chance to host next week’s north half tournament.
About Chris Elkins
- City will try for Christmas parade again next Tuesday at 6 December 6, 2016
- County supervisors hire three employees, discuss potential logging problems December 6, 2016
- Main Street Association sponsors Christmas tree lighting ceremony in Cooper Park December 6, 2016
- City sets new Christmas parade date for next Tuesday December 6, 2016
- Scenes from Myrtle’s Christmas parade December 6, 2016
- Museum, civic center to have holiday events this weekend December 9, 2016
- Old Gazette building going down after 44 years December 9, 2016
- Armed robber hits check store December 9, 2016
- West Union Homecoming Court December 9, 2016
- Postponed Christmas parade set for Tuesday December 9, 2016
- Kaylyn Havrilla McClinton: I realize this comment was posted over two weeks a...
- Myke Britt: Someone asked "what has happened to our country"...
- Nonie: Margaret Gwendolyn Roberts McCraw - My Aunt Margar...
- Caleb Frederick: This is a great idea!...
- jonathan makeley: Jim Hedges 2016 If you are interested in joining t...