Union Co. baseball playoff recaps
Tyler Dowdy’s no-hitter for Ingomar capped Thursday’s playoff action, as three Union County teams picked up game one wins.
Dowdy pitched the complete game against Smithville, finishing with eight strikeouts in the Falcons’ 4-0 win.
Brady Cox put Ingomar on the board in the fourth, bringing in a run off of a sacrifice fly out, which was followed by a two-run single by Dillen Speck. A Smithville error in the fifth brought in Ingomar’s fourth run, plating Dowdy.
Josh Thompson had two hits to lead Ingomar, who will travel to Smithville on Friday for game two of the series.
East Union and West Union win on the road
Also earning wins on Thursday were East Union (14-0 at Calhoun City) and West Union (5-1 at Thrasher).
For the Urchins, Trey Barkley had three hits and three RBI against the Wildcats. Cody Dillard, Alex Boland, Tray Davis and D.J. Armstrong also had multiple hits in the win.
Barkley also had the win on the mound, pitching four innings, allowing four hits with two strikeouts.
Game two of the series will take place on Friday at East Union.
West Union had to go to extra innings to pick up its game one win at Thrasher.
Leading 1-0 in the seventh, Thrasher came back to tie the game, but the Eagles answered, scoring four runs in the eighth to take the win. Friday’s game two will be at West Union.
New Albany and Myrtle fall in game one.
The Bulldogs dropped a 4-0 decision at Kosciusko. Easton Hall led New Albany with two hits, but the offense stopped after that, with Ben Foster registering the only other hit in the game for the ‘Dawgs.
Mason Maxey had the loss on the mound, allowing four runs off five hits.
Game two of the series will be at New Albany on Friday.
Also falling on the road are the Hawks, who lost to Tupelo Christian, 12-2 in five innings.
Brandon Perkins had a solo home run in the fourth inning, and Anthony Lipsey had two hits to lead the Hawks’ offense, but TCPS registered 13 hits, led by three from J.G. Lipscomb.
Riley Clayton had the loss on the mound, pitching 3.1 innings, allowing 10 runs off 11 hits. Game two will be at Myrtle on Friday.
About Chris Elkins
- Blood donations urgently needed in the final weeks of summer August 23, 2016
- Local resident report being victim of jury duty scam August 25, 2016
- Tanglefoot Trail good, but needs more signs August 25, 2016
- Ellistown Breezes August 25, 2016
- Eastern Lights August 25, 2016
- Friday Night Lights: Deep ball upends Bulldogs August 26, 2016
- Urchins tame the Lions in shutout win August 25, 2016
- Easy riding ahead August 25, 2016
- County schools still among top in state August 25, 2016
- Rickey Scaggs to headline Tallahatchie RiverFest in Oct. August 25, 2016
- Seth Vincent Flake: New Albany and the people behind the scenes are do...
- Jeremy Cable: They also need to allow for a more eclectic musica...
- Darren Byles: Better yet, why aren't they punished for not foll...
- Darren Byles: "According to Strawn, Union County schools receiv...
- Lego MiniFaulkner: Also worth a look: http://www.knightsgambitvineyar...