Ingomar golf wins second district championship
Ingomar golf picked up its second consecutive district title last week, and an added bonus gives the Falcons an advantage as they now look forward to state next week.
Sophomore Molly Hale has declared to compete with the boys, foregoing her chance to win an individual title in girls’ competition. Hale finished runner-up last year, and was favored to win on the girls’ side, but has chosen to not only improve her game by competing with the boys, but also help Ingomar in its quest for a state title.
“Once she played in division and declared with the male team, she’s locked in to play at state,” Ingomar coach Mike Conway said. “She would have been a walk-in for a state championship, but she chose to make her game better by playing with the guys.”
Hale finished district competition, shooting a 75, two strokes from the medalist. Her brother, Matt, finished behind her with a 79, followed by Chandler Thompson with an 84, Brad Aldridge with a 94 and Levi Jumper with a 106.
Going against tough competition in Tupelo Christian and St. Aloysuis, Conway hopes to see his team put together four good scores when they compete at Big Oaks in Tupelo next week.
“We’ve had three people as medalists throughout the year (Molly Hale, Matt Hale and Chandler Thompson), so if we can get that fourth score down, we can compete,” he said.
The practice round will be on Monday, May 7, while the state tournament will take place next Tuesday and Wednesday, May 8-9.
About Chris Elkins
- Blood donations urgently needed in the final weeks of summer August 23, 2016
- Local resident report being victim of jury duty scam August 25, 2016
- Tanglefoot Trail good, but needs more signs August 25, 2016
- Ellistown Breezes August 25, 2016
- Eastern Lights August 25, 2016
- Friday Night Lights: Deep ball upends Bulldogs August 26, 2016
- Urchins tame the Lions in shutout win August 25, 2016
- Easy riding ahead August 25, 2016
- County schools still among top in state August 25, 2016
- Rickey Scaggs to headline Tallahatchie RiverFest in Oct. August 25, 2016
- Seth Vincent Flake: New Albany and the people behind the scenes are do...
- Jeremy Cable: They also need to allow for a more eclectic musica...
- Darren Byles: Better yet, why aren't they punished for not foll...
- Darren Byles: "According to Strawn, Union County schools receiv...
- Lego MiniFaulkner: Also worth a look: http://www.knightsgambitvineyar...