Urchins advance to play Hatley
East Union coach Chris Basil best described his team’s 3-2 win over Calhoun City in the playoffs on Saturday as surviving, and the Urchins now advance to the north quarterfinals in 2A.
“I think we were over confident after Friday’s win, and we had a chance to put this away, but we had to survive to get through it,” Basil said. “We played a good team, and they did well on Saturday to step up. That’s a credit to their team as well as their coaches.”
The Urchins traveled to Calhoun City on Friday, defeating the Wildcats in five innings, 14-0 behind three hits and three RBI from Trey Barkley.
Cody Dillard, Alex Boland, Tray Davis and D.J. Armstrong also had multiple hits in the win, while Barkley had the win on the mound, pitching four innings, allowing four hits with two strikeouts.
Playing at home on Saturday, the Urchins trailed early, 2-0, but quickly answered in the bottom of the first, scoring three, and holding on for the win.
Cody Dillard had 10 strikeouts and gave up five hits and four walks, earning the win on the mound.
Next for East Union is this weekend’s quarterfinal series against division foe Hatley. The Tigers swept the regular season series, and Basil described his team’s opponent as a complete and quality team.
“Obviously, we’re going to go back and look over the things that cost us those ball games, like the 11 base runners that reached either by errors or walks or hit batters,” Basil said.
“They are a solid, older team that have played together for three years now. They had no errors in the two games we played against them, and they’re a quality team. We’ll have to play extremely well to beat them.”
The 2A quarterfinal series will begin at 6:30 p.m. on Friday at Hatley, and East Union will host game two beginning at 1 p.m. on Saturday. If necessary game three will be played at 6:30 p.m. on Monday at Hatley.
About Chris Elkins
- Ellistown Breezes July 21, 2016
- Hurricane news July 27, 2016
- Macedonia news July 27, 2016
- Center Hill Baptist Church news July 27, 2016
- Required vaccinations safe and reliable July 27, 2016
- Local swimmers compete in long course state meet July 27, 2016
- Tax-free weekend coming up July 27, 2016
- Health officer reminds parents about required school vaccinations. July 27, 2016
- Supervisors ask for bridge redesign to lower construction costs July 27, 2016
- Get a year’s worth of news for only $29 July 27, 2016
- Miranda Mora: my boss was needing CMS-40B earlier today and saw ...
- BRYNN11SCHMIDT: my family was looking for CMS-40B earlier today an...
- janifar soloman: Our experts know all the perfect way to solve your...
- GerryGorel820: I totally agree with the all questions you raised....
- PHYLLIS OPPERMAN: Savvy suggestions , I Appreciate the facts - Does ...