Francis A. Murry obituary
Francis A. Murry, 77, died Saturday, March 17, 2012, at her daughter’s home after a prolonged illness.
Born in Vardaman on Aug. 5, 1934, to Arris and Irene Anglin, Francis grew up on the family farm in the Loyd community. There she learned the importance of faith, family and hard work, values that she later taught her own six children. Eventually she moved from Bruce to Memphis, Tenn. where she met and married Oscar M. Murry. In 1964 she graduated from Memphis State University with a Bachelor’s of Science in Elementary Education. For over 37 years she worked as a teacher with Shelby County Schools and Memphis City Schools.
Francis accepted Christ as her Savior during a revival at Loyd Baptist Church in 1942. She was an active member of Beverly Hills Baptist Church and Cherokee Baptist Church for many years. She served as a Sunday school teacher with adults and children and volunteered on various church committees. She remained active in the church until health reasons prevented her from doing so. Francis was a living example of unconditional love and will be greatly missed.
Services will be at 10 a.m., Wednesday, March 21, 2012 at the funeral home, with Bro. Garry Burkacki officiating. Interment will follow at 2 p.m., at Vista Memorial Park Cemetery in New Albany.
She is survived by six children, Lee (Maria) Murry of Memphis, David Murry of Memphis, Tenn. Mark (Patty) Murry of Memphis, Tenn. Kim (Mike) Melton of Southaven, Andy (Kristi) Murry of Birmingham, Ala. and Tricia (Mike) Gruber of Memphis, Tenn.; eight grandchildren, Jason Murry, Bethany Carwile, Kyle Murry, Casey Murry, A.J. Murry, Michael Melton, Oscar Gruber, and Max Gruber; two great-grandchildren, Myla Murry, and Jaxon Murry; a brother, Quinton Anglin of Memphis, Tenn.; and a host of extended family and friends.
She was preceded in death by her husband, Oscar M. Murry; her parents, Arris and Irene Anglin; brothers, Garnell Anglin, Willie Ray Anglin and A.L. Anglin; and sisters, Nettie Lee Moore, Eunice Owens, and Dollie Brown.
Visitation was from 5 to 8 p.m, Tuesday at the funeral home.
In lieu of flowers, the family requests memorials be sent to Cherokee Baptist Church, 5340 Quince Rd, Memphis, TN, 38119.
Online condolences may be made at www.memphisfuneralhome.net
About Chris Elkins
- Division Dominance January 17, 2017
- Museum to have program on Mississippi quotations Thursday January 18, 2017
- County unemployment remains among state’s lowest at 4 percent January 18, 2017
- ‘Miracle’ continues to benefit police January 18, 2017
- King program promotes unity for all January 18, 2017
- Lady Urchin Power January 21, 2017
- Back in Business: New Albany rejoining Union County Tournament in 2018 January 20, 2017
- Playoff bound January 20, 2017
- Speller Owen Cotton wins ‘olympian’ victory January 19, 2017
- New candidate enters Ward One race January 19, 2017
- tea party animal: A "closer look," with Your Home Missionary. ♫ ...
- Kaylyn Havrilla McClinton: I realize this comment was posted over two weeks a...
- Myke Britt: Someone asked "what has happened to our country"...
- Nonie: Margaret Gwendolyn Roberts McCraw - My Aunt Margar...
- Caleb Frederick: This is a great idea!...