Eagles drop game three at TCPS

West Union never backed down in its quarterfinal appeance against Tupelo Christian Prep, taking the Eagles to three games before falling, 11-1, on Monday.

TCPS led throughout, posting three runs before West Union scored in the third off an error that plated Chris Beard. TCPS went ahead 4-1 and took the game in five innings, scoring seven runs off six hits.
West Union was held to three hits in the loss, and TCPS now advances to play Greenville St. Joe in the North Half championship.
The Eagles forced game three, winning in dramatic fashion at home on Saturday, 7-6.
Down 6-3 and potentially its final three outs of the season, West Union loaded the bases for Zak Jumper, who brought in two runs. Mikey Burkes later scored to tie the game with one out. Jumper attempted to steal home, but was out at the plate for the Eagles’ second out, and with Drew Garrett on third, Bogue had the winning hit. The win comes after the Eagles fell in the final inning of Friday’s game one at TCPS, 8-7.
“You know, our guys have been that way all year. Last night was tough, and the biggest challenge today was getting them ready to go,” West Union coach Ashley Russell said. “I knew once the game got going, around the third inning, we were just here to play and we were not worried about last night anymore. I couldn’t be any more proud of these guys. The character they’re showing right now is tremendous.”
West Union took a 3-1 lead in the sixth, scoring off of a single by Joey Dillard and Jumper stealing home. That scoring effort was answered by five runs by TCPS in the top of the seventh.
West Union led 1-0 early only to have TCPS tie the game in the top of the sixth.  A trio of Eagles, Jennings, Burks and Bogue, had multiple hits in the win. Ashley credits his pitchers in the first two games for their efforts so far.
“Drew (Garrett) was outstanding, threw to contact, let our defense make plays. Him and Joey Dillard were equally good in games one and two, and I’m proud of our pitchers,” he said.
TCPS took the first game of the series last Friday, winning in its final at bat, 8-7.
Down 7-5 in the final inning, TCPS tied the game on one error and brought in the winning run on another to take Friday’s game one, 8-7.
TCPS held a 3-1 lead after the opening inning, but West Union scored six in the second inning, beginning with a solo home run by Chase Bogue, and held the 7-3 advantage.
TCPS added runs in the bottom of the second and third and were led at the plate by Stephen Sexton’s four hits.
Drew Garrett led West Union with two hits, and Joey Dillard had the loss on the mound, allowing 12 hits and finishing with three strikeouts.