New Albany tennis wins north half
Fresh off of its north half team championship, New Albany is competing in the individual championships at Mississippi College before the Wednesday showdown against Newton County.
Taking on Lafayette in the north half championship last Friday, the Bulldogs won all but one court, and the boys’ doubles team of Christian and Christopher Scott sealed the win, sending New Albany to play for its second state title in the sport.
New Albany’s wins came in all but the girls’ singles match between Lafayette’s Mallory Davis and New Albany’s Savannah Horrgan, with Davis winning, 6-0, 6-1.
Winning courts for New Albany were Mark Robbins over Nathan Hollis 6-0, 6-0, Cam Clark and Thomas Mills defeated Barron Pruitt and Hunter Knight 3-6, 6-1 (10-8), Christian Scott and Christopher Scott over Jacob Roberts and Garrett Reed 6-2, 7-6 (7-3), Elleigh Hall and Molly Morris defeated Ashley Smith and Lauren Cullen 4-6, 6-3 (10-7), Olivia Dunnam and Hannah Anderson over Brittany Mann and Abbey Pate, 6-2, 6-3 and in the mixed doubles match, Maegan Traylor and Josh Creekmore beat Kathryn Owen and Brett Bowen 6-2, 6-0.
Friday’s Gazette will have a complete recap from the individual championships as well as the team championship. You can also follow Wednesday’s finals on Twitter: @ezaremba1618.
About Chris Elkins
- County budget adopted with no change September 22, 2016
- Urchins come from behind to take down Bears September 22, 2016
- Union County runners enjoy top five finishes at Saltillo XC meet September 22, 2016
- First inning flurry leads to West Union win September 22, 2016
- Urchins host New Site on homecoming September 22, 2016
- Urchins run over Royals September 24, 2016
- Lady Urchins bomb Baldwyn in division play September 22, 2016
- School board races shaping up September 22, 2016
- Bank donates clock to Cooper Park September 22, 2016
- County still among lowest in unemployment September 22, 2016
- Jim Hall: i'v read both of mr. coffeys' books, love them b...
- Seth Vincent Flake: New Albany and the people behind the scenes are do...
- Jeremy Cable: They also need to allow for a more eclectic musica...
- Darren Byles: Better yet, why aren't they punished for not foll...
- Darren Byles: "According to Strawn, Union County schools receiv...