County voters disenfranchised
The New Albany Board of Aldermen has done an end around on the voters of Union County. Unable to garner a majority of votes to approve the sale of liquor, the aldermen have chosen to disenfranchise the voters of the county.
Proponents of king liquor knew their only chance was to deprive the county
from voting on this issue and hope that the more “liberal” city voters would approve it.
Feb. 7 Alderman (Jeff) Olson presented a resolution that petitioned the Mississippi Legislature to enact legislation to allow New Albany to hold a city-wide election regarding the sale of liquor in the city limits. After Olson moved the adoption of the resolution, it was seconded by Alderman (Scott) Dunnam. The swing vote was provided by Alderman (Tommie) Beasley; kudos to Aldermen (Johnny) Anderson and (Will) Tucker, who voted against the resolution. The governor signed into law the ability of municipalities such as New Albany to vote on the issue independent of the county voters.
Olson states that he simply wanted the citizens of New Albany to “determine their fate.” Take that citizens of Union County. I am sure the aldermen want you to continue to patronize the businesses in New Albany. Even though you are deprived of the right to vote on a matter that will have implications for you and your family, they still want you to spend your hard earned dollars in our fair and friendly city.
This is one “end around” that I hope, instead of catching the opponents off guard and going for a touchdown, gets sacked in the backfield before it ever gains momentum.
The Rev. Rick Blythe
First Baptist Church, New Albany
About Chris Elkins
- Urchins host Hamilton in Thursday’s home opener August 25, 2016
- Macedonia news August 30, 2016
- Hurricane news August 30, 2016
- Center Hill Baptist Church news August 30, 2016
- IRS warns of back-to-school scams; encourages students, parents, schools to stay alert August 30, 2016
- Local schools do well in ACT test results August 30, 2016
- County sets public hearing for coming year’s budget August 30, 2016
- Union County Health and Rehab receives top rating from CMS August 30, 2016
- American Legion to sponsor Patriot Day program Sept. 9 August 30, 2016
- Labor Day holiday to affect community services August 30, 2016
- Seth Vincent Flake: New Albany and the people behind the scenes are do...
- Jeremy Cable: They also need to allow for a more eclectic musica...
- Darren Byles: Better yet, why aren't they punished for not foll...
- Darren Byles: "According to Strawn, Union County schools receiv...
- Lego MiniFaulkner: Also worth a look: http://www.knightsgambitvineyar...