Fixing our water issues
New Albany has adopted a plan to begin dealing with the most pressing issues with the city’s water system.
The Board of Aldermen has voted to move ahead with a plan, developed by New Albany Light, Gas & Water, to add two production wells, improve water pressure on the east side of the city, and begin replacing 100-year-old pipes in the historic north-side district.
Bill Mattox, manager of the utility, said the project, which will cost nearly $3 million, will be financed through a low-interest loan from the Mississippi Rural Development Association.
Repayment of the loan will require a water rate increase of 3 to 5 percent, beginning in 2014, he said. Rates likely increase each year after that to pay for continuing improvements to the New Albany system.
Two new production wells will provide more than adequate capacity for expected residential, business and industrial growth, he said.
On the east side, a 250,000-gallon elevated storage tank will be added, as well as a pumping station will be constructed to increase water pressure and provide adequate pressure to fight fires, he said.
The city also will embark on a small pipe replacement program, but the majority of pipe replacement will come in future years, he said.
We continue to be impressed with Mattox’s no-nonsense attitude toward sorting out New Albany’s water problems and providing solutions. His leadership has gotten the city moving on these long-standing problems.
We remain confident that residents understand – and support – the plan to fix our water system, even if it means an increase in the rates.
About Chris Elkins
- Alligator hunting permits go on sale July 19 July 20, 2016
- Ellistown Breezes July 21, 2016
- Hurricane news July 21, 2016
- Returning champs win in domino contest at fair July 21, 2016
- Prayer session was step in right direction July 21, 2016
- Beating the heat July 21, 2016
- Reactions mixed over school ratings July 21, 2016
- New Albany Main Street Association receives 2016 national Main Street accreditation July 21, 2016
- Passion for caring motivates new doctor Matthew Rhinewalt July 21, 2016
- Has city got a deal for you! July 21, 2016
- Miranda Mora: my boss was needing CMS-40B earlier today and saw ...
- BRYNN11SCHMIDT: my family was looking for CMS-40B earlier today an...
- janifar soloman: Our experts know all the perfect way to solve your...
- GerryGorel820: I totally agree with the all questions you raised....
- PHYLLIS OPPERMAN: Savvy suggestions , I Appreciate the facts - Does ...