Elder, Tables receive the Urchin Award
East Union capped its athletic banquet festivities by honoring two members of the Class of 2012 as the recipients of the Urchin Award.
Rachel Elder and Chris Tables have each posted successful careers while at the school and are thankful for the chances they have had playing sports.
“It feels great to receive this award. It makes me grateful given my situation when I came here,” Tables said. “I didn’t have an opportunity to play sports at Tupelo, but when I came here, I was surrounded by people who care, and I’m thankful for them.”
The duo received multiple awards during Monday night’s banquet, as Elder was named the defensive most valuable player and received the hustle and attitude award in slow pitch, and was named the most valuable player for fast pitch. Tables was named the co-offensive most valuable player for basketball.
Both noted their fondest memories of playing at East Union and look forward to going to college; Elder at Itawamba Community College, where she will play softball, and Tables at Southern Miss, where he will study athletic training.
“Beating Ingomar and making north half two years in a row would have to be my best memory,” Tables said.
Added Elder, “Winning the Union County Tournament multiple times and just having the chance to play for a wonderful team. I’ve loved being a part of this school.”
About Chris Elkins
- Division Dominance January 17, 2017
- Museum to have program on Mississippi quotations Thursday January 18, 2017
- County unemployment remains among state’s lowest at 4 percent January 18, 2017
- ‘Miracle’ continues to benefit police January 18, 2017
- King program promotes unity for all January 18, 2017
- Lady Urchin Power January 21, 2017
- Back in Business: New Albany rejoining Union County Tournament in 2018 January 20, 2017
- Playoff bound January 20, 2017
- Speller Owen Cotton wins ‘olympian’ victory January 19, 2017
- New candidate enters Ward One race January 19, 2017
- tea party animal: A "closer look," with Your Home Missionary. ♫ ...
- Kaylyn Havrilla McClinton: I realize this comment was posted over two weeks a...
- Myke Britt: Someone asked "what has happened to our country"...
- Nonie: Margaret Gwendolyn Roberts McCraw - My Aunt Margar...
- Caleb Frederick: This is a great idea!...