Elder, Tables receive the Urchin Award
East Union capped its athletic banquet festivities by honoring two members of the Class of 2012 as the recipients of the Urchin Award.
Rachel Elder and Chris Tables have each posted successful careers while at the school and are thankful for the chances they have had playing sports.
“It feels great to receive this award. It makes me grateful given my situation when I came here,” Tables said. “I didn’t have an opportunity to play sports at Tupelo, but when I came here, I was surrounded by people who care, and I’m thankful for them.”
The duo received multiple awards during Monday night’s banquet, as Elder was named the defensive most valuable player and received the hustle and attitude award in slow pitch, and was named the most valuable player for fast pitch. Tables was named the co-offensive most valuable player for basketball.
Both noted their fondest memories of playing at East Union and look forward to going to college; Elder at Itawamba Community College, where she will play softball, and Tables at Southern Miss, where he will study athletic training.
“Beating Ingomar and making north half two years in a row would have to be my best memory,” Tables said.
Added Elder, “Winning the Union County Tournament multiple times and just having the chance to play for a wonderful team. I’ve loved being a part of this school.”
About Chris Elkins
- Watkins is DAISY nursing award winner November 29, 2016
- Community holiday meal expected to feed 1,200 Dec. 17 November 29, 2016
- Eastern Lights December 1, 2016
- New Albany Garden Club December 1, 2016
- City officials: Do what you can now…but plan for the future December 1, 2016
- City will try for Christmas parade again next Tuesday at 6 December 6, 2016
- Chamberlin loses county but wins election December 1, 2016
- Finally, no flooding December 1, 2016
- Myrtle Tree of Hope to add local children December 1, 2016
- Library program offers book gift idea for the holidays December 1, 2016
- Myke Britt: Someone asked "what has happened to our country"...
- Nonie: Margaret Gwendolyn Roberts McCraw - My Aunt Margar...
- Caleb Frederick: This is a great idea!...
- jonathan makeley: Jim Hedges 2016 If you are interested in joining t...
- Jim Hall: i'v read both of mr. coffeys' books, love them b...