Elder, Tables receive the Urchin Award
East Union capped its athletic banquet festivities by honoring two members of the Class of 2012 as the recipients of the Urchin Award.
Rachel Elder and Chris Tables have each posted successful careers while at the school and are thankful for the chances they have had playing sports.
“It feels great to receive this award. It makes me grateful given my situation when I came here,” Tables said. “I didn’t have an opportunity to play sports at Tupelo, but when I came here, I was surrounded by people who care, and I’m thankful for them.”
The duo received multiple awards during Monday night’s banquet, as Elder was named the defensive most valuable player and received the hustle and attitude award in slow pitch, and was named the most valuable player for fast pitch. Tables was named the co-offensive most valuable player for basketball.
Both noted their fondest memories of playing at East Union and look forward to going to college; Elder at Itawamba Community College, where she will play softball, and Tables at Southern Miss, where he will study athletic training.
“Beating Ingomar and making north half two years in a row would have to be my best memory,” Tables said.
Added Elder, “Winning the Union County Tournament multiple times and just having the chance to play for a wonderful team. I’ve loved being a part of this school.”
About Chris Elkins
- Blood donations urgently needed in the final weeks of summer August 23, 2016
- Local resident report being victim of jury duty scam August 25, 2016
- Tanglefoot Trail good, but needs more signs August 25, 2016
- Ellistown Breezes August 25, 2016
- Eastern Lights August 25, 2016
- Friday Night Lights: Deep ball upends Bulldogs August 26, 2016
- Urchins tame the Lions in shutout win August 25, 2016
- Easy riding ahead August 25, 2016
- County schools still among top in state August 25, 2016
- Rickey Scaggs to headline Tallahatchie RiverFest in Oct. August 25, 2016
- Seth Vincent Flake: New Albany and the people behind the scenes are do...
- Jeremy Cable: They also need to allow for a more eclectic musica...
- Darren Byles: Better yet, why aren't they punished for not foll...
- Darren Byles: "According to Strawn, Union County schools receiv...
- Lego MiniFaulkner: Also worth a look: http://www.knightsgambitvineyar...