Elder, Tables receive the Urchin Award
East Union capped its athletic banquet festivities by honoring two members of the Class of 2012 as the recipients of the Urchin Award.
Rachel Elder and Chris Tables have each posted successful careers while at the school and are thankful for the chances they have had playing sports.
“It feels great to receive this award. It makes me grateful given my situation when I came here,” Tables said. “I didn’t have an opportunity to play sports at Tupelo, but when I came here, I was surrounded by people who care, and I’m thankful for them.”
The duo received multiple awards during Monday night’s banquet, as Elder was named the defensive most valuable player and received the hustle and attitude award in slow pitch, and was named the most valuable player for fast pitch. Tables was named the co-offensive most valuable player for basketball.
Both noted their fondest memories of playing at East Union and look forward to going to college; Elder at Itawamba Community College, where she will play softball, and Tables at Southern Miss, where he will study athletic training.
“Beating Ingomar and making north half two years in a row would have to be my best memory,” Tables said.
Added Elder, “Winning the Union County Tournament multiple times and just having the chance to play for a wonderful team. I’ve loved being a part of this school.”
About Chris Elkins
- County budget adopted with no change September 22, 2016
- Ellistown Breezes September 22, 2016
- Urchins come from behind to take down Bears September 22, 2016
- Union County runners enjoy top five finishes at Saltillo XC meet September 22, 2016
- First inning flurry leads to West Union win September 22, 2016
- Lady Urchins bomb Baldwyn in division play September 22, 2016
- School board races shaping up September 22, 2016
- Bank donates clock to Cooper Park September 22, 2016
- County still among lowest in unemployment September 22, 2016
- Faulkner readers urged to just ‘keep on goin’ September 22, 2016
- Seth Vincent Flake: New Albany and the people behind the scenes are do...
- Jeremy Cable: They also need to allow for a more eclectic musica...
- Darren Byles: Better yet, why aren't they punished for not foll...
- Darren Byles: "According to Strawn, Union County schools receiv...
- Lego MiniFaulkner: Also worth a look: http://www.knightsgambitvineyar...