Bulldogs end spring practice
Boston Newsome ran for two touchdowns, but it took the Bulldogs’ offense until the second quarter to get on the board, eventually leading toa 14-7 win at Oxford last Thursday.
“We have a lot of things we know we need to work on now; throwing and catching the football,” New Albany coach Ron Price said.
“We dropped a lot of balls that went right in our hands, but it was a great effort by our kids today.”
Scrimmaging for two quarters, the Bulldogs scored first early in the second, and Oxford tied it on a long pass play, one of few mishaps by New Albany’s defense, which kept the pressure on Chargers’ quarterback, Parker Adamson.
“The defense played great and stepped up in critical situations and made big plays for us,” Price said. “We got off the field without giving up a lot of points. We have a lot to work on this summer, but we got a lot of positives out of it.“
Newsome’s second touchdown came with 1:39 remaining, and Price said this was a good way to end spring practice, which opened in late April.
“I’m very proud of our kids. It hasn’t been a pretty spring from one day to the next, and we fought different battles and challenges, but our kids came out today, laid everything on the line,” he said.
New Albany will travel to Oxford each week in June, playing seven-on-seven games along with two tournaments throughout the month.
“We tell our kids going into this part that we learn how to run the football in the spring and then we’ll learn how to throw and catch during seven-on-seven,” Price said.
“Our kids have responded to that the last four years, and we expect nothing less out of them this summer.”
Fall practice for the 2012 season will open on July 30.
About Chris Elkins
- Urchins run over Royals September 24, 2016
- Eastern Lights September 29, 2016
- The Playhouse September 29, 2016
- New web site allows better public access to campaign finance reports September 29, 2016
- Church honors first responders September 29, 2016
- East Union opens division play at Byers September 30, 2016
- Headed to postseason September 30, 2016
- East Union Attendance Center 2016 Homecoming Court September 29, 2016
- City sales revenue continues upswing September 29, 2016
- First solar energy farm here gets PSC approval September 29, 2016
- Jim Hall: i'v read both of mr. coffeys' books, love them b...
- Seth Vincent Flake: New Albany and the people behind the scenes are do...
- Jeremy Cable: They also need to allow for a more eclectic musica...
- Darren Byles: Better yet, why aren't they punished for not foll...
- Darren Byles: "According to Strawn, Union County schools receiv...