Downtown ramp closed until 2013
In an effort to curb the number of accidents occuring on a six-mile section of Highway 78 currently under construction in New Albany, the Mississippi Department of Transportation has closed one entrance ramp to the highway.
MDOT officials announced Monday that the northwest entrance ramp from Carter Avenue onto Highway 78 will be closed until March 2013.
This section of the highway is currently under reconstruction from Highway 30 West to Highway 15. Hill Brothers Construction Company, Inc., the contractor for the project, has been hired by MDOT to begin repairing the bridges within this six-mile section to bring them up to interstate standards.
The northwest entrance ramp closing was highly recommended by New Albany Police Department officials, who said that, due to the construction, the line-of-sight for drivers entering highway from this location is nearly zero.
The closing comes just three days after a severe accident occurred in which a minivan carrying seven people collided with a dump truck that turned onto the highway median just east of the Highway 15 exit.
Mississippi Highway Patrol officials said the family in the van, including a woman and six children, were sent to local hospitals to be treated for their wounds.
Two of the children were airlifted to Le Bonheur Children’s Hospital in Memphis, Tenn. with severe injuries.
Two other severe accidents, including one in which a Missouri woman was killed, have also occurred within the six-mile stretch of highway.
The Highway Patrol and New Albany police both patrol the area.
Police officials recommended motorists avoid using the downtown entrances and exits to Highway 78 all together.
About Chris Elkins
- New Legion Auxiliary officers July 27, 2016
- Eastern Lights July 28, 2016
- Ellistown Breezes July 28, 2016
- Cora Sanders turns 98 July 28, 2016
- Baptist Union County selects Service First Champion July 28, 2016
- Baptist Union County’s HealthPlex transitions to new owner July 29, 2016
- Youth production to ‘dazzle’ audience this weekend with selections from Disney markings. July 28, 2016
- Martintown bridge complete, road open again July 28, 2016
- There is much we didn’t know about millionaire Paul Rainey July 28, 2016
- Young Valley to bring ‘alt-country’ sound to weekend concert series July 28, 2016
- Miranda Mora: my boss was needing CMS-40B earlier today and saw ...
- BRYNN11SCHMIDT: my family was looking for CMS-40B earlier today an...
- janifar soloman: Our experts know all the perfect way to solve your...
- GerryGorel820: I totally agree with the all questions you raised....
- PHYLLIS OPPERMAN: Savvy suggestions , I Appreciate the facts - Does ...
Subscribe to Blog via Email
- Baptist Union County’s HealthPlex transitions to new owner
- Youth production to ‘dazzle’ audience this weekend with selections from Disney markings.
- Martintown bridge complete, road open again
- There is much we didn’t know about millionaire Paul Rainey
- Young Valley to bring ‘alt-country’ sound to weekend concert series