What eventually will be a major traffic improvement on U.S. 78 (Interstate 22) in New Albany is a dangerous problem today.
We, of course, are talking about the $19-million project to widen the Central/Carter avenues overpass and the bridge over the Tallahatchie River and the lengthening of the on and off ramps at the downtown New Albany exit. The project is designed to bring the stretch of U.S. 78 up to interstate standards.
Unfortunately, during the construction process a bad and dangerous stretch of U.S. 78 has been made far worse. Three accidents, including one that resulted in the death of a Missouri woman, already have occurred in the construction zone and another construction-related accident occurred last week a little further east on the highway.
“It’s been a mess from day one,” said New Albany Police Chief David Grisham.
We agree. It wasn’t until after the first major accident that the state Department of Transportation got around to lowering the speed limit to 50, from 60, in the construction zone.
We think a concrete barrier should be placed down the center median through the construction zone. The fatality could have been avoided if one had been in place.
Grisham recommended that the westbound ramp to U.S. 78 be closed because of poor sight lines made worse by the construction. That was done this week, but no detour has been marked.
We would urge New Albany residents to use city streets and not the highway between the U.S. 30 West and Highway 15 exits until the construction is completed.
It seems to us that the state has mishandled the safety aspect of this project so far. More needs to be done to lessen the chance of accidents and fatalities.
About Chris Elkins
- County budget adopted with no change September 22, 2016
- Urchins come from behind to take down Bears September 22, 2016
- Union County runners enjoy top five finishes at Saltillo XC meet September 22, 2016
- First inning flurry leads to West Union win September 22, 2016
- Urchins host New Site on homecoming September 22, 2016
- Urchins run over Royals September 24, 2016
- Lady Urchins bomb Baldwyn in division play September 22, 2016
- School board races shaping up September 22, 2016
- Bank donates clock to Cooper Park September 22, 2016
- County still among lowest in unemployment September 22, 2016
- Seth Vincent Flake: New Albany and the people behind the scenes are do...
- Jeremy Cable: They also need to allow for a more eclectic musica...
- Darren Byles: Better yet, why aren't they punished for not foll...
- Darren Byles: "According to Strawn, Union County schools receiv...
- Lego MiniFaulkner: Also worth a look: http://www.knightsgambitvineyar...