Relay for Life event
Tonight the American Cancer Society will hold its 14th annual Relay for Life fundraising event at BNA Bank Park.
The event gets under way at 5 p.m. to live music, followed by the opening ceremony at 7 p.m. with the presentation of the color guard, a ribbon cutting, recognizing the cancer survivors in attendance and then the walk for which the event is named.
About 9 p.m. there will be a luminary ceremony and Lisa Mitchell, honorary chairperson, will speak. Mitchell, former principal of New Albany Middle School and now an employee at the school district’s central office, was an obvious choice to honor at honorary chairperson.
Relay for Life co-chair Rick Lemmons said about 25 teams are participating in the fundraising walk this year, and Lemmons hopes to raise more than $90,000 for cancer research.
“Most of us have been touched by cancer in some form or fashion, either having a friend or family member with cancer,” he said.
No admission fee is charged and there will be plenty of food available to purchase from vendors. This year’s event will have an ‘80s theme, with a lip synch competition.
People come and go during the event, which runs from dusk until dawn carrying out the American Cancer Society’s theme of “Cancer Never Sleeps.”
The Relay for Life is an important event in our community each year and we hope you will plan to participate.
Topping the $89,000 raised last year is a reachable goal.
Cancer research is the key to a better – and longer – life for so many people in our community.
About Chris Elkins
- Alligator hunting permits go on sale July 19 July 20, 2016
- Ellistown Breezes July 21, 2016
- Hurricane news July 21, 2016
- Returning champs win in domino contest at fair July 21, 2016
- Prayer session was step in right direction July 21, 2016
- Beating the heat July 21, 2016
- Reactions mixed over school ratings July 21, 2016
- New Albany Main Street Association receives 2016 national Main Street accreditation July 21, 2016
- Passion for caring motivates new doctor Matthew Rhinewalt July 21, 2016
- Has city got a deal for you! July 21, 2016
- Miranda Mora: my boss was needing CMS-40B earlier today and saw ...
- BRYNN11SCHMIDT: my family was looking for CMS-40B earlier today an...
- janifar soloman: Our experts know all the perfect way to solve your...
- GerryGorel820: I totally agree with the all questions you raised....
- PHYLLIS OPPERMAN: Savvy suggestions , I Appreciate the facts - Does ...