Responding to citizens concerns, the Union County Board of Supervisors has adopted an abandoned and dangerous animals ordinance. It is expected to go into effect in about 30 days.
We think the board has done the right thing in an effort to get a handle on the growing population of unwanted, or in some cases dangerous, animals in the county.
Under the plan approved, a county sheriff’s deputy will be designated as the animal control officer and will be authorized to enter any parcel of land to investigate complaints or impound any dog found in violation of the ordinance.
The animals would be brought to a temporary holding area at the jail and then taken to the Humane Society in Tupelo. Meanwhile, if the animal control officer believes the animal has an owner, he will contact the owner
Owners would pay a $25 fee, as well as a $7 a day boarding fee and any veterinary costs to retrieve an animal.
Dogs that act in a threatening manner or bite someone can be considered dangerous, as well as any dog being kept for dog fighting.
Dogs who attack someone who is trespassing would not fall into the category.
Animals who are provoked, tormented or abused would not be considered dangerous. Dogs protecting or defending their owner from attack also would not be considered a dangerous animal.
This is a decent ordinance to deal with part of a problem. The other part, the proliferation of unwanted animals, is harder and is caused by owners who do not spay or neuter their animals.
About Chris Elkins
- New Legion Auxiliary officers July 27, 2016
- The Playhouse July 28, 2016
- Eastern Lights July 28, 2016
- Ellistown Breezes July 28, 2016
- Cora Sanders turns 98 July 28, 2016
- Youth production to ‘dazzle’ audience this weekend with selections from Disney markings. July 28, 2016
- Martintown bridge complete, road open again July 28, 2016
- There is much we didn’t know about millionaire Paul Rainey July 28, 2016
- Young Valley to bring ‘alt-country’ sound to weekend concert series July 28, 2016
- ‘Paid in Full’ to give 25th anniversary concert July 28, 2016
- Miranda Mora: my boss was needing CMS-40B earlier today and saw ...
- BRYNN11SCHMIDT: my family was looking for CMS-40B earlier today an...
- janifar soloman: Our experts know all the perfect way to solve your...
- GerryGorel820: I totally agree with the all questions you raised....
- PHYLLIS OPPERMAN: Savvy suggestions , I Appreciate the facts - Does ...
Subscribe to Blog via Email
- Youth production to ‘dazzle’ audience this weekend with selections from Disney markings.
- Martintown bridge complete, road open again
- There is much we didn’t know about millionaire Paul Rainey
- Young Valley to bring ‘alt-country’ sound to weekend concert series
- ‘Paid in Full’ to give 25th anniversary concert