Farmers’ Market Open
The changes this year in the annual farmers market represent an important step forward for our community.
Saturday, has been renamed the Biscuits and Jam Farmers’ Market and moved to a more prominent downtown spot on the vacant property between Fred’s and the Tallahatchie River Bridge.
In the past, the farmers’ market has been held on Wednesdays at the Union County Fairgrounds and on Saturdays on Court Street near the Union County Courthouse downtown.
It is on property owned by Mary Jennifer Russell, owner of Sugaree’s Bakery, who agreed to lease it to the city for a token amount.
This year’s market, which will be open from 7 a.m. to 10 a.m. each Saturday until sometime in August, will feature an expanded selection of products and seasonally grown food. It will sell locally grown product, processed farm goods, canned fruit and vegetables, home baked goods and local hand-made craft items.
Management of the market, including the handling of the fees and taxes, will be handled by Pat and Lisa James, both master gardeners with the Union County Master Gardeners.
Consolidating and expanding the market into one spot downtown is a good idea.
Stanley Wise, Mississippi State University extension agent, said that while the fairgrounds has served well in the past, “most successful farmers’ markets are located near downtowns.
The new location will be beneficial to the growers and to the city as well because it will bring more people downtown every Saturday. See you at the market.
About Chris Elkins
- Urchins host Hamilton in Thursday’s home opener August 25, 2016
- Macedonia news August 30, 2016
- Hurricane news August 30, 2016
- Center Hill Baptist Church news August 30, 2016
- IRS warns of back-to-school scams; encourages students, parents, schools to stay alert August 30, 2016
- Local schools do well in ACT test results August 30, 2016
- County sets public hearing for coming year’s budget August 30, 2016
- Union County Health and Rehab receives top rating from CMS August 30, 2016
- American Legion to sponsor Patriot Day program Sept. 9 August 30, 2016
- Labor Day holiday to affect community services August 30, 2016
- Seth Vincent Flake: New Albany and the people behind the scenes are do...
- Jeremy Cable: They also need to allow for a more eclectic musica...
- Darren Byles: Better yet, why aren't they punished for not foll...
- Darren Byles: "According to Strawn, Union County schools receiv...
- Lego MiniFaulkner: Also worth a look: http://www.knightsgambitvineyar...