Cotton States update: June 14
Tallahatchie picked up two wins over the weekend, improving to a league-best 4-0 after the opening week of the 2012 season.
Defeating the Thunder, 5-3, last Thursday, a trio of Rascals had two hits each in the win, with Jamie Smith driving in two of the runs.
The Thunder took the lead in the bottom of the fourth with Dylan Castoria giving the Thunder the lead off of his single.
Tallahatchie scored two in the final inning off of Smith’s two-run double, giving the Rascals the win.
The Rascals faced the Tribe on Sunday, defeating Tippah County, 6-1.
Trae Allison had three hits for Tallahatchie, who built a 4-0 lead before the Tribe scored its lone run in the fourth off of an error.
The Rascals had 10 hits and were backed up on the mound by a complete-game performance by Kyle Stephenson, who held the Tribe to four hits with six strikeouts.
Behind the Rascals in the standings are the North Delta Dealers, who are currently 2-1-1, finishing Sunday with a 1-1 tie versus the Golden Triangle Jets.
The Dealers also defeated the Thunder, 3-1, last Thursday, and the Tribe, 4-3, on Saturday. Former New Albany standout Corey Smith had two hits for the Dealers, and Drew Wray had a hit as well for North Delta in the win.
Next in the standings are the Tribe at 2-2, followed by the Jets at 1-2-1 and the Thunder at 0-4.
Smith is currently batting .250 with three hits, and just ahead of him in the rankings is former Ingomar standout Tanner McCollum, playing for the Thunder. McCollum is also batting .250 with three hits and two RBI in 12 at bats.
Pitching, Beau Cummings is currently posting a 2.70 ERA in 10 innings pitched and is third in strikeouts with 12, one behind Stephenson and Jeremy Massie for North Delta, who each have 13 strikeouts are first and second respectively in the standings.
This week’s games opened with the Dealers and Thunder playing on Tuesday. Thursday, the Tribe will face the Rascals, and the weekend games begin at 1 p.m. on Saturday with the Rascals versus the Jets, followed by the Rascals versus the Tribe and the Dealers versus the Thunder.
On Sunday, the Dealers will open the day versus the Jets, followed by the Thunder versus the Tribe.
For more information on the Cotton States Baseball League, visit its website, www.cottonstatesleague.com.
About Chris Elkins
- New Legion Auxiliary officers July 27, 2016
- The Playhouse July 28, 2016
- Eastern Lights July 28, 2016
- Ellistown Breezes July 28, 2016
- Cora Sanders turns 98 July 28, 2016
- Youth production to ‘dazzle’ audience this weekend with selections from Disney markings. July 28, 2016
- Martintown bridge complete, road open again July 28, 2016
- There is much we didn’t know about millionaire Paul Rainey July 28, 2016
- Young Valley to bring ‘alt-country’ sound to weekend concert series July 28, 2016
- ‘Paid in Full’ to give 25th anniversary concert July 28, 2016
- Miranda Mora: my boss was needing CMS-40B earlier today and saw ...
- BRYNN11SCHMIDT: my family was looking for CMS-40B earlier today an...
- janifar soloman: Our experts know all the perfect way to solve your...
- GerryGorel820: I totally agree with the all questions you raised....
- PHYLLIS OPPERMAN: Savvy suggestions , I Appreciate the facts - Does ...
Subscribe to Blog via Email
- Youth production to ‘dazzle’ audience this weekend with selections from Disney markings.
- Martintown bridge complete, road open again
- There is much we didn’t know about millionaire Paul Rainey
- Young Valley to bring ‘alt-country’ sound to weekend concert series
- ‘Paid in Full’ to give 25th anniversary concert