BNA Park hosts first tennis tournament
BNA Bank Park played host to its first tennis tournament over the weekend, drawing in 90 participants from three states.
Tournament Director Warner Creekmore was pleased overall with the turnout, as it was the largest tournament held in North Mississippi so far this year.
“To see all of these people out here, it’s unbelievable,” she said. “This has been a long time coming, and we’re very pleased with the turnout since this is our first tournament.”
Construction was on-going leading up to the 2 p.m. start on Friday, as crews worked almost non-stop to make sure the facility was properly prepared for the three-day event.
“We couldn’t be happier with the way all of this has turned out.,” Creekmore said of the facilities. “We have some things we still have to do, but the biggest part is over. It’s happening; it’s all really happening.”
Several New Albany residents took part in the junior tournament, including members of the 2012 4A State Champion squad at New Albany High School.
Mark Robbins drew a number one seed in the Boys’ 18 singles category, defeating fellow teammate Christian Scott, 6-3, 6-1, and winning by forfeit in the round robin style bracket.
Christopher Scott fell to Ryan Henry, 6-3, 6-3 in the Boys’ 16 singles and Grayson Godbold defeated Kyle Faver and Alex Hayes in the consolation bracket of the Boys’ 12 singles.
Robert Gray Goode lost in the finals of the Boys’ 10 singles, falling to the top seeded Owen Riley, 4-0, 4-1.
On the girls’ side, Molly Morris lost 6-3, 6-0 to Taylor Patterson in the Girls’ 18 singles bracket and Elleigh Hall made it to the finals of the Girls’ 16 bracket, falling to fourth seed Abbey Vaughn, 2-6, 6-0, 1-0.
For the doubles competition, Christian and Christopher Scott won the Boys’ 16 bracket, while Hall and Morris won the Girls’ 18 group.
For the complete results from the tournament, visit the tournament page at tennislink.usta.com and search for BNA Bank Park Bash Junior Tournament.
About Chris Elkins
- Alligator hunting permits go on sale July 19 July 20, 2016
- Ellistown Breezes July 21, 2016
- Hurricane news July 21, 2016
- Returning champs win in domino contest at fair July 21, 2016
- Prayer session was step in right direction July 21, 2016
- Beating the heat July 21, 2016
- Reactions mixed over school ratings July 21, 2016
- New Albany Main Street Association receives 2016 national Main Street accreditation July 21, 2016
- Passion for caring motivates new doctor Matthew Rhinewalt July 21, 2016
- Has city got a deal for you! July 21, 2016
- Miranda Mora: my boss was needing CMS-40B earlier today and saw ...
- BRYNN11SCHMIDT: my family was looking for CMS-40B earlier today an...
- janifar soloman: Our experts know all the perfect way to solve your...
- GerryGorel820: I totally agree with the all questions you raised....
- PHYLLIS OPPERMAN: Savvy suggestions , I Appreciate the facts - Does ...