NEMSBCA softball all-stars
Area softball all-stars met at Tupelo High last Thursday, capping their high school careers in the annual Northeast Mississippi Softball Coaches Association game.
New Albany’s Amber Mirfield contributed with two hits for the West squad in its 10-4 win over the East in the fast pitch game.
Leading 5-4 in the top of the eighth, New Albany’s Jalanna Cameron had a leadoff single, but was later caught in a fielder’s choice at second base. Mirfield knocked in two runs with a double, followed by East Union’s Rachel Elder reaching base on a single. Pontotoc’s Brianna Farr plated both Mirfield and Elder on a triple, giving the West a 9-4 lead.
Mirfield’s first hit, a single, came in the fifth inning, and she started at third base, while Cameron was at first and Elder behind the plate.
The fast pitch win was the only one for the West, who lost in two, five-inning slow pitch games held earlier in the afternoon.
In the first game, Tishomingo County’s Emilee Henderson had three home runs in four at bats for the East in its 18-6 win.
Elder played in both the slow and fast pitch games, finishing with two hits during slow pitch play, including a double in the second game.
The East squad won the second slow pitch game by a final of 9-7.
About Chris Elkins
- County budget adopted with no change September 22, 2016
- Urchins come from behind to take down Bears September 22, 2016
- Union County runners enjoy top five finishes at Saltillo XC meet September 22, 2016
- First inning flurry leads to West Union win September 22, 2016
- Urchins host New Site on homecoming September 22, 2016
- Urchins run over Royals September 24, 2016
- Lady Urchins bomb Baldwyn in division play September 22, 2016
- School board races shaping up September 22, 2016
- Bank donates clock to Cooper Park September 22, 2016
- County still among lowest in unemployment September 22, 2016
- Jim Hall: i'v read both of mr. coffeys' books, love them b...
- Seth Vincent Flake: New Albany and the people behind the scenes are do...
- Jeremy Cable: They also need to allow for a more eclectic musica...
- Darren Byles: Better yet, why aren't they punished for not foll...
- Darren Byles: "According to Strawn, Union County schools receiv...