East Union, New Albany in NEMCABB tournament
The Urchins and Bulldogs are set for this week’s Northeast Mississippi Coaches Association for Better Baseball championships after taking part in regional action last Thursday and Friday at East Union.
Both teams opened with losses on Thursday, as New Albany fell 8-3 to Baldwyn, and East Union could not hold on to its early lead, falling 15-3 to Mantachie.
The Bearcats took an early 2-0 lead on New Albany, which was answered in the bottom of the first, as Jake McDonald plated one run off of his triple, and he later scored on a sacrifice fly out by Grant Hogue.
Baldwyn regained the lead in the second on a sacrifice by Reggie Richey, but a Bearcat error in the third tied the game once more.
New Albany was stopped offensively, and Baldwyn took the win, scoring five runs in the final four innings.
Aaron Catt had multiple hits for the Bulldogs in the loss.
East Union held a 2-0 lead through five innings before Mantachie scored 15 runs in the final two innings to take the win.
Trey Barkley was the offensive highlight for the Urchins with four hits on the day, plating all three of East Union’s runs. His RBI single and RBI triple in the second and fifth innings gave the Urchins its early lead.
Whit Roaton held his ground on the mound until the sixth, allowing only three hits.
The Mustangs had 11 hits over the final two innings, leading to the win.
East Union and New Albany each played again on Friday, and closed regional action against one another, with the Urchins winning, 11-1.
Both teams will participate in this week’s NEMCABB championships at Legion Field at BNA Bank Park.
In championship tournament action, New Albany defeated Pontotoc, 8-1, on Monday, but fell to Oxford, 12-0, on Tuesday to be eliminated. The Urchins had two wins on Monday, defeating Booneville, 3-2, and Ripley, 7-4.
About Chris Elkins
- Alligator hunting permits go on sale July 19 July 20, 2016
- Ellistown Breezes July 21, 2016
- Hurricane news July 21, 2016
- Returning champs win in domino contest at fair July 21, 2016
- Prayer session was step in right direction July 21, 2016
- Beating the heat July 21, 2016
- Reactions mixed over school ratings July 21, 2016
- New Albany Main Street Association receives 2016 national Main Street accreditation July 21, 2016
- Passion for caring motivates new doctor Matthew Rhinewalt July 21, 2016
- Has city got a deal for you! July 21, 2016
- Miranda Mora: my boss was needing CMS-40B earlier today and saw ...
- BRYNN11SCHMIDT: my family was looking for CMS-40B earlier today an...
- janifar soloman: Our experts know all the perfect way to solve your...
- GerryGorel820: I totally agree with the all questions you raised....
- PHYLLIS OPPERMAN: Savvy suggestions , I Appreciate the facts - Does ...