Museum moving ahead
The board of the Union County Historical Society has voted to hire an architect and move ahead on plans to more than double the size of the Union County Heritage Museum.
It was a bold move, but clearly was the right one for our community. The museum has become a quality small museum under the leadership of the board and especially that of its executive director, Jill Smith. It is affiliated with the Smithsonian Institution, the Mississippi Museum of Art and many other institutions and associations.
The problem today is that success has brought the museum artifacts and donations that are packed away because there is no space to put them on display.
The museum has the Coffey Family collection (Murray Coffey now lives here) of about 800 volumes including one of the most impressive collections of Faulkner books (including first editions), poems, short stories and other materials in Southeast. The collection also includes a set of first editions by local author, Borden Deal.
And it has stored away the Chico Foote collection of approximately 30 mounts from his African and Alaskan expeditions. Only the tiger is on display near the front entrance of the museum.
Included in the expansion plan are additional display rooms, a library, and a large meeting room for museum events. The expansion is likely to cost more than $750,000 and exhibits and furnishings mike require another $500,000.
Fundraising isn’t easy, but we think it can be done. There’s no reason to wait. Standing still is moving backward in today’s world.
Capitalizing on our heritage and our tourism economy is vital to our future.
About Chris Elkins
- Urchins host Hamilton in Thursday’s home opener August 25, 2016
- Macedonia news August 30, 2016
- Hurricane news August 30, 2016
- Center Hill Baptist Church news August 30, 2016
- IRS warns of back-to-school scams; encourages students, parents, schools to stay alert August 30, 2016
- Local schools do well in ACT test results August 30, 2016
- County sets public hearing for coming year’s budget August 30, 2016
- Union County Health and Rehab receives top rating from CMS August 30, 2016
- American Legion to sponsor Patriot Day program Sept. 9 August 30, 2016
- Labor Day holiday to affect community services August 30, 2016
- Seth Vincent Flake: New Albany and the people behind the scenes are do...
- Jeremy Cable: They also need to allow for a more eclectic musica...
- Darren Byles: Better yet, why aren't they punished for not foll...
- Darren Byles: "According to Strawn, Union County schools receiv...
- Lego MiniFaulkner: Also worth a look: http://www.knightsgambitvineyar...