2012 All-Sports Awards announced
Local schools were ranked among the best in the state in the annual All-Sports Awards, calculated and released by the Clarion Ledger in Jackson.
In 2011, New Albany and West Union were named the best in their respective classes, but finished fourth and 10th respectively after the 2011-2012 school year.
East Union had the highest rank among the Union County schools, finishing second in 2A with 170.5 points. Madison St. Joseph was the top ranked school in that class, finishing with 248 points. East Union won state in girls’ cross country, but also received high marks for powerlifting, boys’ cross country and girls’ bowling.
The Bulldogs were behind Pontotoc, Corinth and Lafayette in 4A. NAHS earned high marks for golf, boys’ cross country and tennis, which won the state championship in May. With four state titles, Pontotoc was first with 341 points; New Albany finished with 226.5.
Myrtle was the highest finisher for Union County in 1A, placing fifth behind St. Aloysius, Sacred Heart, Cathedral and Greenville St. Joe. Myrtle had 175 points overall, winning state titles in girls’ track and cross country.
West Union finished 10th with 121.5 points overall. The school had its highest marks for bowling and cross country.
Ingomar made the top 20, finishing 16th with 89 points. Ingomar’s highest mark came in golf, which provided 24 points.
In the top five schools overall, Tupelo was named the top school with 437.5 points, followed by Madison Central (431), Starkville (397), Oxford (373.5), Clinton (341) and Pontotoc (341).
The complete results from the All-Sports awards can be found on the Clarion Ledger’s website, www.clarionledger.com.
About Chris Elkins
- First-graders tour career and technical center October 25, 2016
- Grand jury hears near-record number of cases October 25, 2016
- ‘Sharing at Christmas’ sign-up under way but contributions not yet coming in October 25, 2016
- Yes, Haunted Forest has evil clowns October 25, 2016
- Former city court clerk arrested October 25, 2016
- Urchins travel to Walnut for season finale October 27, 2016
- Ingomar swimmers to compete at state championships October 27, 2016
- East Union vs Potts Camp Football Photos October 26, 2016
- Division Dominance October 26, 2016
- County officials extend burn ban October 25, 2016
- Jim Hall: i'v read both of mr. coffeys' books, love them b...
- Seth Vincent Flake: New Albany and the people behind the scenes are do...
- Jeremy Cable: They also need to allow for a more eclectic musica...
- Darren Byles: Better yet, why aren't they punished for not foll...
- Darren Byles: "According to Strawn, Union County schools receiv...