Honoring our nation
Today on our nation’s birthday, we honor America.
We’re thankful for our democracy and for our government and the many services it provides to make our lives safer and better.
Here are some of the things our government does that come to mind on this Independence Day:
– Protects us from our enemies, both foreign and domestic.
– Keeps our air clear and our water safe to drink.
– Provides the money that makes most of our major highways possible.
– Assures us that we are paid a minimum wage for our labor.
– Regulates in many ways the factors that contribute to our personal safety, whether in the work place, or in our daily lives.
– Provides the safety net for our old age that we call Social Security.
– Protects the rights of all, even though they may be of a different color or come from a different culture than our own.
Sometimes we lose track of a lot of the positive things in this era of increased rancor, narrow thinking and polarization. Election years are the worst for a stream of seemingly endless vitriolic attacks on our government.
We’re not part of those attacks. We think more civility and positive thinking would be helpful. We have our nitpicks, like you do, but generally that is what they are. For the most part, we are proud of our nation and its government.
Happy birthday to us – one nation under God, indivisible, with liberty and justice for all.
About Chris Elkins
- New Legion Auxiliary officers July 27, 2016
- The Playhouse July 28, 2016
- Eastern Lights July 28, 2016
- Ellistown Breezes July 28, 2016
- Cora Sanders turns 98 July 28, 2016
- Youth production to ‘dazzle’ audience this weekend with selections from Disney markings. July 28, 2016
- Martintown bridge complete, road open again July 28, 2016
- There is much we didn’t know about millionaire Paul Rainey July 28, 2016
- Young Valley to bring ‘alt-country’ sound to weekend concert series July 28, 2016
- ‘Paid in Full’ to give 25th anniversary concert July 28, 2016
- Miranda Mora: my boss was needing CMS-40B earlier today and saw ...
- BRYNN11SCHMIDT: my family was looking for CMS-40B earlier today an...
- janifar soloman: Our experts know all the perfect way to solve your...
- GerryGorel820: I totally agree with the all questions you raised....
- PHYLLIS OPPERMAN: Savvy suggestions , I Appreciate the facts - Does ...
Subscribe to Blog via Email
- Youth production to ‘dazzle’ audience this weekend with selections from Disney markings.
- Martintown bridge complete, road open again
- There is much we didn’t know about millionaire Paul Rainey
- Young Valley to bring ‘alt-country’ sound to weekend concert series
- ‘Paid in Full’ to give 25th anniversary concert