County Fair begins today
By Josh Presley
The Union County Fair officially kicks off at 8 p.m. tonight with the rodeo at the Union County Arena. The rodeo is being put on by the 5M Rodeo Company and admission is $5. Gates open at 6 p.m.
This year the rodeo is a standalone event, as the carnival doesn’t begin until Monday. The rodeo will take place both Friday and Saturday nights and will feature Dusty Myers, the International Rodeo Association’s Full Time Clown Act of the Year. The announcer will be Robbie Thomas and Dusty Lynn will be the trick rider.
The fair continues tomorrow with the Miss Union County Fair and Scholarship Pageant for ages 9 through 21.
The Mitchell Brothers Carnival comes in on Monday, and Monday night will also feature the goat show, the 4-H petting barn, the back porch games, and the home and youth exhibits. The petting barn and exhibits will be featured throughout the week.
Tuesday will feature the Little Mr. Cowboy and Cowgirl Pageant at 6 p.m., barrel races and and archery tournament at 7 p.m.
Wednesday is seniors day and youth night at the arena. There will be gospel singing in the Ladies Building at 7 p.m., and a Christian youth rally in the arena at the same time.
While admission for every other night is $5, Wednesday night you only need to bring a non-perishable food item for the food pantry, or make a $2 donation to the Red Cross.
Thursday features the Little Mr. and Miss Union County Fair, for ages 3-8 at 6 p.m. in the Ladies building. The Union County Pet Show starts at 6:30 p.m. at the pavillion stage, and the Flame Warriors Classic Fireman Competition starts at 7 p.m. in the arena.
Friday night features the beef show at 6 p.m. in the arena, the Mid-South Fair Preliminary Youth Talent Show at 7 p.m. in the Ladie’s Building, and karaoke night on the fairgrounds, which also begins at 7 p.m.
The final day is Children’s day, and will feature a free kid’s carnival beginning at 9 a.m. The chicken run starts at 10 a.m., the barnyard scramble at 10:30 a.m., and the watermelon eating contest at 10:45 a.m.
The Tiny Mr. and Miss Union County pageant, for children two-years-old or less, begins at 2 p.m. Riverboat John Ferguson will be on hand all day Saturday and will perform two shows at 7 p.m., and 9 p.m. The donkey basketball tournament between Union County and New Albany law enforcementn starts at 8.
The gates open at 4 p.m. on every day but the last day, when they open at 9 a.m.
About Chris Elkins
- Eastern Lights December 1, 2016
- The Playhouse December 6, 2016
- Governor lifts burn ban December 6, 2016
- Deadline for letters to Santa is Friday, Dec. 9 December 6, 2016
- Center Hill Baptist Church news December 6, 2016
- Scenes from Myrtle’s Christmas parade December 6, 2016
- City sets new Christmas parade date for next Tuesday December 6, 2016
- Main Street Association sponsors Christmas tree lighting ceremony in Cooper Park December 6, 2016
- County supervisors hire three employees, discuss potential logging problems December 6, 2016
- MEC’s Mississippi Connection tour visiting here Wednesday December 6, 2016
- Kaylyn Havrilla McClinton: I realize this comment was posted over two weeks a...
- Myke Britt: Someone asked "what has happened to our country"...
- Nonie: Margaret Gwendolyn Roberts McCraw - My Aunt Margar...
- Caleb Frederick: This is a great idea!...
- jonathan makeley: Jim Hedges 2016 If you are interested in joining t...
Subscribe to Blog via Email
- Scenes from Myrtle’s Christmas parade
- City sets new Christmas parade date for next Tuesday
- Main Street Association sponsors Christmas tree lighting ceremony in Cooper Park
- County supervisors hire three employees, discuss potential logging problems
- MEC’s Mississippi Connection tour visiting here Wednesday