Honoring Vietnam vets
The New Albany High School graduating class of 1960 has decided to honor Vietnam veterans who are either from Union County or now live in the county.
The class is using its “NAHS 1960 Class Remembers” Fund to sponsor a fish fry at 5:30 p.m. Thursday in downtown New Albany’s Cooper Park. Only Vietnam veterans are invited to attend; it is not a family event.
Michael Hale, chairman of the event, said the group wanted to honor Vietnam veterans because “this was not a popular war, yet many Union County men (or boys at the time) answered the call and put their lives in harm’s way to support our country’s position.”
Hale said when they returned “they were mostly ignored and certainly not honored for putting their lives on the lines. To our knowledge they have never had a chance to come together as a group and share ‘line of fire’ memories. Nor have they ever been recognized as a group from Union County.”
The group representing the 1960 graduating class also is trying to develop a list of all Vietnam veterans who are originally from Union County or live in Union County.
This is a worthwhile and unusual undertaking for a high school graduating class.
We commend the group and all who have had a part and putting this event together.
About Chris Elkins
- County budget adopted with no change September 22, 2016
- Urchins come from behind to take down Bears September 22, 2016
- Union County runners enjoy top five finishes at Saltillo XC meet September 22, 2016
- First inning flurry leads to West Union win September 22, 2016
- Urchins host New Site on homecoming September 22, 2016
- Urchins run over Royals September 24, 2016
- Lady Urchins bomb Baldwyn in division play September 22, 2016
- School board races shaping up September 22, 2016
- Bank donates clock to Cooper Park September 22, 2016
- County still among lowest in unemployment September 22, 2016
- Jim Hall: i'v read both of mr. coffeys' books, love them b...
- Seth Vincent Flake: New Albany and the people behind the scenes are do...
- Jeremy Cable: They also need to allow for a more eclectic musica...
- Darren Byles: Better yet, why aren't they punished for not foll...
- Darren Byles: "According to Strawn, Union County schools receiv...