Macedonia News, July 20, 2012
James and Shirley Shirley; Ginger, Stephan, and Wesley Harrell; and Julie and Emily Canoy enjoyed a week at Shoalwater Condos at Orange Beach July 1-8. Highlights of the trip were shopping, swimming, riding go-kart/bumper cars, dolphin watching, sunbathing, fishing, picnicing, riding bikes, and building sand castles. They ate their traditional seafood meal at Doc’s Seafood. The family celebrated Julie’s birthday while on their trip. Her actual birthday is July 12. Shirley said the fireworks display on July 4 was spectacular.
Attending baseball camp at Mississippi State University in Starkville were Jacob Shirley, Alex Works, Gavin Mitchell, Andrew Childers, and Chase Bogue. The camp was from July 10-13. Alex stayed for the second session so he was there until July 15.
The Garrison girls spent July 8-14 at Costa Del Sol in Destin, Fla. Enjoying the trip were Melissa, Noel, Marley, and Jed Long; Jessica, Chloe, and Zoey Wright; Joni and Garrison Carpenter; and Doris Garrison. Pam and Madison Gray also went with them.
Garrison’s birthday was Tuesday, July 11 so they celebrated by going to the Gulfarium Aquarium and watching the dolphin and sea lion show. Garrison requested eating at the Crab Shack for his special day.
The group shopped and sunbathed. The children enjoyed digging on the beach.
VBS was a big success at Macedonia this year. Bible School ended on Friday, July 13 with Parent Night. Alyssa Spencer won the hundred dollar gift card to Walmart. The children sang for their parents, and then everyone enjoyed a meal in the fellowship hall. Shonda Bogue and her workers did an outstanding job in the kitchen during VBS week. They prepared delicious meals each night. We all especially enjoyed Shonda’s green beans on parent night.
We had an average attendance of 262 for the week. The mission offering was $625. The most important news is that there were sixteen professions of faith!! I pray that each of those who made professions will find a church home where they can grow.
A special thanks goes to each worker who sacrificed their time to come and work with the children. Working in VBS is very demanding and requires dedication, but it is very rewarding to see children having fun and learning about God at the same time.
On Sunday morning five were baptized at Macedonia. Cade Nowlin is the son of Tye Nowlin and Amanda Kisor and is the grandson of Larry and Beverly Hall. Madi Hill is the daughter of Larry and Vickie Hill. Halo Floyd is the daughter of Craig Floyd and the granddaughter of Virgil and Barbara Floyd. LuLu Williams is the daughter of Bro. Louie and Melissa Williams. Bryce Adams is from D’Iberville, MS and is visiting his dad, Rich Adams, from Etta this summer.
On Sunday night four more were baptized. Brayden Childers is the son of Melissa and Stephan Childers. Stormie and Stoney Wooten are the daughter and son of Crystal and Pat Wooten. Ryan Robbins is the son of Larry and Norma Robbins. We rejoice in all these decisions being made. Praise the Lord for the harvest He gave us this past week.
The Macedonia Youth will be leaving Friday, July 20 for a mission trip to New Orleans. They will return on July 26. The Children’s group will be leaving Friday, July 27 for Centri-Kids Camp in Talladega, AL and will return on July 29.
On Sunday, July 29 we will have a Judgment House Rally during the morning worship. During this time we will be learning more about our production which will be the last of October. Lunch will be served after the presentation.
Also on July 29 there will be a prayer walk at West Union School at 2:30 p.m. Anyone is welcome to attend this prayer walk. We will be praying for the students and faculty as they prepare to begin a new school year.
Thought for the week: Exposure to the Son may prevent burning.
About Chris Elkins
- First-graders tour career and technical center October 25, 2016
- Clerk’s office open for absentee voting Saturday morning October 25, 2016
- Secretary of State Delbert Hosemann to be guest speaker at Business-2-Business program Thursday October 25, 2016
- Grand jury hears near-record number of cases October 25, 2016
- ‘Sharing at Christmas’ sign-up under way but contributions not yet coming in October 25, 2016
- Division Dominance October 26, 2016
- County officials extend burn ban October 25, 2016
- Section of Main Street closed for repairs October 25, 2016
- Pastor faces sex charges October 25, 2016
- Former city court clerk arrested October 25, 2016
- Jim Hall: i'v read both of mr. coffeys' books, love them b...
- Seth Vincent Flake: New Albany and the people behind the scenes are do...
- Jeremy Cable: They also need to allow for a more eclectic musica...
- Darren Byles: Better yet, why aren't they punished for not foll...
- Darren Byles: "According to Strawn, Union County schools receiv...