Northeast football announces 2012 schedule
Northeast Mississippi Community College’s head coach Ricky Smither has announced the team’s 2012 football schedule which is set to kickoff at Tiger Stadium on a Thursday, August 30 against Copiah-Lincoln Community College.
Northeast will once again face another hard road in its 2012 campaign after one of the toughest schedules in the Mississippi Association of Community & Junior College’s (MACJC) during the 2011 season.
However, the Tigers were able to handle the pressure of the schedule last season by posting a 6-4 overall record. Northeast was also ranked as high as twelfth in the National Junior College Athletic Association’s (NJCAA) polls last season and capitalized on an impressive 5-0 start while falling in the first round of the playoffs in overtime to Mississippi Gulf Coast 20-17.
“We had a tough schedule last year, but that is just part of this league,” explained Smither. “Everyone is good and you have to be ready every week and last year we were able to do some good things for our program and we hope to do the same in 2012.”
Northeast will kick off the first half of its season at 7 p.m. in Booneville verses the Wolves before going on the road to face Jones County Junior College on September 8. That game with the Bobcats will feature a rare start time with kickoff set for 7 p.m. on a Saturday evening in Ellisville.
Smither and crew will get back to Thursday night action the following week on September 13, at 6:30 p.m. against Holmes Community College in Goodman to open up divisional play and in week four the Tigers host Northwest Mississippi Community College at 7 p.m. on September 20.
The second half of the season, Northeast will take the trip back down to Perkinston to face Mississippi Gulf Coast Community College on September 27 at 7 p.m.
On October 4 the Tigers travel to Clarksdale where they will look to battle with the Tigers of Coahoma at 6:30 p.m. and on October 11 will host the MACJC state and NJCAA defending national champions the East Mississippi Lions at 7 p.m.
Northeast’s homecoming opponent will be crosstown rival Itawamba Community College with game time set for 3 p.m. on Saturday, October 20.
Last but not least the Tigers will be at Mississippi Delta on October 25, at 7 p.m. in Moorhead.
About Chris Elkins
- County budget adopted with no change September 22, 2016
- Faulkner readers urged to just ‘keep on goin’ September 22, 2016
- County still among lowest in unemployment September 22, 2016
- Bank donates clock to Cooper Park September 22, 2016
- School board races shaping up September 22, 2016
- Ollie Otter teaches kids to buckle up September 27, 2016
- Supervisors try again on bridge contract September 27, 2016
- Main Street drainage work delayed September 27, 2016
- NAES students study Constitution September 27, 2016
- Tell us what you want the news to be September 27, 2016
- Jim Hall: i'v read both of mr. coffeys' books, love them b...
- Seth Vincent Flake: New Albany and the people behind the scenes are do...
- Jeremy Cable: They also need to allow for a more eclectic musica...
- Darren Byles: Better yet, why aren't they punished for not foll...
- Darren Byles: "According to Strawn, Union County schools receiv...