Qualifying open for school board
Residents of Union County’s 3rd and 4th districts who wish to run for the position of school board member for the Union County School District must qualify beginning next Wednesday.
According to Phyllis Stanford, the county’s Circuit Clerk, the qualifying period for these two offices runs from Wednesday, Aug. 8 to Friday, Sept. 7.
In order to qualify, Stanford said he or she must be a qualified elector of the district in which election is sought and must have a high school diploma or its equivalent.
Stanford said there is no fee for candidates, but a petition containing signatures of 50 qualified electors’ of the district.
Currently, Buddy Dixon holds the school board seat for the 3rd district and Johnny Rakestraw holds the seat for the 4th district.
These two races will be among other local, state and national races to be contested in the Nov. 6 general election.
In Union County, citizens will also select county election commissioners for all five districts.
Incumbents Graham Spencer, Lanell Kennon Hudson, T. Michael Beam and Wayne Wilhite have qualified to run. Frances Dunlap, currently the election commissioner for the 3rd district, will be retiring at the end of this term.
Two other residents, Bill Azlin and Ralph Hanskiewicz, have qualified to run against Hudson for the 2nd district spot.
Voters will also go to the polls to fill the Class 1 U.S. Senate seat, as well as the District 1 U.S. House of Representatives position.
The most-watched race will be the election of the next U.S. President.
For more information about these and other races, call the circuit clerk’s office at 662-534-1910.
About Chris Elkins
- Blood donations urgently needed in the final weeks of summer August 23, 2016
- Local resident report being victim of jury duty scam August 25, 2016
- Tanglefoot Trail good, but needs more signs August 25, 2016
- Ellistown Breezes August 25, 2016
- Eastern Lights August 25, 2016
- Friday Night Lights: Deep ball upends Bulldogs August 26, 2016
- Urchins tame the Lions in shutout win August 25, 2016
- Easy riding ahead August 25, 2016
- County schools still among top in state August 25, 2016
- Rickey Scaggs to headline Tallahatchie RiverFest in Oct. August 25, 2016
- Seth Vincent Flake: New Albany and the people behind the scenes are do...
- Jeremy Cable: They also need to allow for a more eclectic musica...
- Darren Byles: Better yet, why aren't they punished for not foll...
- Darren Byles: "According to Strawn, Union County schools receiv...
- Lego MiniFaulkner: Also worth a look: http://www.knightsgambitvineyar...