Qualifying open for school board
Residents of Union County’s 3rd and 4th districts who wish to run for the position of school board member for the Union County School District must qualify beginning next Wednesday.
According to Phyllis Stanford, the county’s Circuit Clerk, the qualifying period for these two offices runs from Wednesday, Aug. 8 to Friday, Sept. 7.
In order to qualify, Stanford said he or she must be a qualified elector of the district in which election is sought and must have a high school diploma or its equivalent.
Stanford said there is no fee for candidates, but a petition containing signatures of 50 qualified electors’ of the district.
Currently, Buddy Dixon holds the school board seat for the 3rd district and Johnny Rakestraw holds the seat for the 4th district.
These two races will be among other local, state and national races to be contested in the Nov. 6 general election.
In Union County, citizens will also select county election commissioners for all five districts.
Incumbents Graham Spencer, Lanell Kennon Hudson, T. Michael Beam and Wayne Wilhite have qualified to run. Frances Dunlap, currently the election commissioner for the 3rd district, will be retiring at the end of this term.
Two other residents, Bill Azlin and Ralph Hanskiewicz, have qualified to run against Hudson for the 2nd district spot.
Voters will also go to the polls to fill the Class 1 U.S. Senate seat, as well as the District 1 U.S. House of Representatives position.
The most-watched race will be the election of the next U.S. President.
For more information about these and other races, call the circuit clerk’s office at 662-534-1910.
About Chris Elkins
- County budget adopted with no change September 22, 2016
- Urchins come from behind to take down Bears September 22, 2016
- Union County runners enjoy top five finishes at Saltillo XC meet September 22, 2016
- First inning flurry leads to West Union win September 22, 2016
- Urchins host New Site on homecoming September 22, 2016
- Urchins run over Royals September 24, 2016
- Lady Urchins bomb Baldwyn in division play September 22, 2016
- School board races shaping up September 22, 2016
- Bank donates clock to Cooper Park September 22, 2016
- County still among lowest in unemployment September 22, 2016
- Jim Hall: i'v read both of mr. coffeys' books, love them b...
- Seth Vincent Flake: New Albany and the people behind the scenes are do...
- Jeremy Cable: They also need to allow for a more eclectic musica...
- Darren Byles: Better yet, why aren't they punished for not foll...
- Darren Byles: "According to Strawn, Union County schools receiv...