Wayne Gaines Obituary
Wayne Gaines, 82, of New Albany, died Sunday, July 29, 2012 at his home. He was born Oct. 17, 1929 in Union County to Quay and Ruby Tyer Gaines. He was a life-long resident of Union County. He was a graduate of Ingomar High School and attended Northeast Mississippi Junior College. He was a United States Air Force veteran of the Korean War. His lifetime career in law enforcement included three terms as Union County Sheriff and served as a Court Security Officer with the U.S. Marshals Service. He was a small business owner, who also enjoyed farming and cattle-ranching. He was a member of Myrtle United Methodist Church for over 56 years.
Services will be at 2 p.m., Wednesday, Aug. 1, 2012, at Myrtle United Methodist Church in Myrtle with Rev. Earl McAnally and Rev. Eugene Stockstill officiating. Interment will be at Vista Memorial Park. United Funeral Service is in charge of the arrangements.
He is survived by his wife of 56 years, Shirley Hargrove Gaines; two sons, David Wayne Gaines (Susan) of Olive Branch and William Andrew “Andy” Gaines of New Albany; one sister, Ruby Jean Colston (Dudley) of Tupelo; two brothers, Charles Gaines and Bobby Gaines (Lucy), both of Tupelo and five grandchildren, Matthew, Jonathan and Rosa Gaines, Lacie Broadus and Sean Ingram.
He was preceded in death by his parents; three brothers, Quay Jr., Bidwell A. “Pete,” and Benny Gaines; his father-in-law and mother-in-law, Nazrie and Rosa Spencer Hargrove and a daughter-in-law, Janet Murphy Gaines.
Pallbearers will be Bill Mattox, Jeff Gaines, Robert Gaines, Craig Gaines, Christopher Hargrove and Dennis Spencer. Honorary pallbearers will be Adam Gaines, Brad Gaines, Phillip Gaines, Billy Gaines, Jimmy Gaines, Graham Spencer, William Adair, Ernest Cousar, Fleet Rowan, Jr. Wilson, Jimmy Manning and Benny Little.
The family requests that memorials be made to Joy Sunday School Class Memorial Fund, Myrtle Methodist Church, 1369 CR 88, New Albany, MS 38652 or Sanctuary Home Hospice, P.O. Box 2177, Tupelo, MS 38803.
Visitation was from 5 to 8 p.m., Tuesday at the funeral home and one hour prior to the service on Wednesday at Myrtle United Methodist Church.
In honor of Mr. Gaines’ service to his country, United Funeral Service will fly the U.S. Air Force flag during his visitation and service.
About Chris Elkins
- New Legion Auxiliary officers July 27, 2016
- The Playhouse July 28, 2016
- Eastern Lights July 28, 2016
- Ellistown Breezes July 28, 2016
- Cora Sanders turns 98 July 28, 2016
- Youth production to ‘dazzle’ audience this weekend with selections from Disney markings. July 28, 2016
- Martintown bridge complete, road open again July 28, 2016
- There is much we didn’t know about millionaire Paul Rainey July 28, 2016
- Young Valley to bring ‘alt-country’ sound to weekend concert series July 28, 2016
- ‘Paid in Full’ to give 25th anniversary concert July 28, 2016
- Miranda Mora: my boss was needing CMS-40B earlier today and saw ...
- BRYNN11SCHMIDT: my family was looking for CMS-40B earlier today an...
- janifar soloman: Our experts know all the perfect way to solve your...
- GerryGorel820: I totally agree with the all questions you raised....
- PHYLLIS OPPERMAN: Savvy suggestions , I Appreciate the facts - Does ...
Subscribe to Blog via Email
- Youth production to ‘dazzle’ audience this weekend with selections from Disney markings.
- Martintown bridge complete, road open again
- There is much we didn’t know about millionaire Paul Rainey
- Young Valley to bring ‘alt-country’ sound to weekend concert series
- ‘Paid in Full’ to give 25th anniversary concert