Wayne Gaines Obituary
Wayne Gaines, 82, of New Albany, died Sunday, July 29, 2012 at his home. He was born Oct. 17, 1929 in Union County to Quay and Ruby Tyer Gaines. He was a life-long resident of Union County. He was a graduate of Ingomar High School and attended Northeast Mississippi Junior College. He was a United States Air Force veteran of the Korean War. His lifetime career in law enforcement included three terms as Union County Sheriff and served as a Court Security Officer with the U.S. Marshals Service. He was a small business owner, who also enjoyed farming and cattle-ranching. He was a member of Myrtle United Methodist Church for over 56 years.
Services will be at 2 p.m., Wednesday, Aug. 1, 2012, at Myrtle United Methodist Church in Myrtle with Rev. Earl McAnally and Rev. Eugene Stockstill officiating. Interment will be at Vista Memorial Park. United Funeral Service is in charge of the arrangements.
He is survived by his wife of 56 years, Shirley Hargrove Gaines; two sons, David Wayne Gaines (Susan) of Olive Branch and William Andrew “Andy” Gaines of New Albany; one sister, Ruby Jean Colston (Dudley) of Tupelo; two brothers, Charles Gaines and Bobby Gaines (Lucy), both of Tupelo and five grandchildren, Matthew, Jonathan and Rosa Gaines, Lacie Broadus and Sean Ingram.
He was preceded in death by his parents; three brothers, Quay Jr., Bidwell A. “Pete,” and Benny Gaines; his father-in-law and mother-in-law, Nazrie and Rosa Spencer Hargrove and a daughter-in-law, Janet Murphy Gaines.
Pallbearers will be Bill Mattox, Jeff Gaines, Robert Gaines, Craig Gaines, Christopher Hargrove and Dennis Spencer. Honorary pallbearers will be Adam Gaines, Brad Gaines, Phillip Gaines, Billy Gaines, Jimmy Gaines, Graham Spencer, William Adair, Ernest Cousar, Fleet Rowan, Jr. Wilson, Jimmy Manning and Benny Little.
The family requests that memorials be made to Joy Sunday School Class Memorial Fund, Myrtle Methodist Church, 1369 CR 88, New Albany, MS 38652 or Sanctuary Home Hospice, P.O. Box 2177, Tupelo, MS 38803.
Visitation was from 5 to 8 p.m., Tuesday at the funeral home and one hour prior to the service on Wednesday at Myrtle United Methodist Church.
In honor of Mr. Gaines’ service to his country, United Funeral Service will fly the U.S. Air Force flag during his visitation and service.
About Chris Elkins
- Macedonia news October 18, 2016
- Lady Urchins sweep Calhoun City and advance to North Half October 18, 2016
- First-graders tour career and technical center October 25, 2016
- New Albany Middle School honor roll October 25, 2016
- The Playhouse October 25, 2016
- Grand jury hears near-record number of cases October 25, 2016
- Secretary of State Delbert Hosemann to be guest speaker at Business-2-Business program Thursday October 25, 2016
- Clerk’s office open for absentee voting Saturday morning October 25, 2016
- Pediatric flu vaccine available at county health departments October 25, 2016
- A divided country cannot thrive October 25, 2016
- Jim Hall: i'v read both of mr. coffeys' books, love them b...
- Seth Vincent Flake: New Albany and the people behind the scenes are do...
- Jeremy Cable: They also need to allow for a more eclectic musica...
- Darren Byles: Better yet, why aren't they punished for not foll...
- Darren Byles: "According to Strawn, Union County schools receiv...