Area runners kick off new XC season
The start of the 2012 cross country season is still a month away, but area runners gathered this week at East Union, preparing for the upcoming year.
Fifty local athletes spent the week at the school, where they worked with coaches, both in the classroom and outdoors, something East Union head coach Nathan McLellen feels will get the runners excited for the season.
“The main reason we wanted to do this was just to have a kickoff to the cross country season, get the kids excited,” he said. “We opened it up to kids from any school, not just East Union.”
Runners from Ingomar, Myrtle, South Pontotoc and the Spartans group took part in the camp, working in the classroom, learning about nutrition and strategy as well as running. Helping McLellen with the camp were East Union assistant coach Jennifer Bruce and Spartans coach Heather Duley.
“We have classroom sessions, where we teach them about nutrition, how to race, race strategy, and for the beginners, we teach them what the sport is, how to eat and practice and even what to wear to practice, just the basics,” McLellen said. “Then we have a practice after that.”
The cross country season will begin in early September.
About Chris Elkins
- Alligator hunting permits go on sale July 19 July 20, 2016
- Ellistown Breezes July 21, 2016
- Hurricane news July 21, 2016
- Returning champs win in domino contest at fair July 21, 2016
- Prayer session was step in right direction July 21, 2016
- Beating the heat July 21, 2016
- Reactions mixed over school ratings July 21, 2016
- New Albany Main Street Association receives 2016 national Main Street accreditation July 21, 2016
- Passion for caring motivates new doctor Matthew Rhinewalt July 21, 2016
- Has city got a deal for you! July 21, 2016
- Miranda Mora: my boss was needing CMS-40B earlier today and saw ...
- BRYNN11SCHMIDT: my family was looking for CMS-40B earlier today an...
- janifar soloman: Our experts know all the perfect way to solve your...
- GerryGorel820: I totally agree with the all questions you raised....
- PHYLLIS OPPERMAN: Savvy suggestions , I Appreciate the facts - Does ...