Beginning of a new school year
We’re a few days into the new school year, as hard as that is to believe. This weekend will mark the beginning of several sports, including slow pitch softball and football.
My school year began last weekend, as I traveled to Pontotoc to watch the New Albany volleyball in action in a preseason tournament hosted by the Lady Warriors. What I saw were two entertaining matches, one of which the Lady Bulldogs won, earning the school’s first ever win in the sport.
I’m glad I was on hand to witness history, and the girls added to that on Monday, defeating Tishomingo County on the road in three sets. Needless to say, that program is off to a great start, and I look forward to watching them more throughout the fall.
Next week, the Gazette will release the Fall Sports Preview. Like last year, all of the fall sports will be featured, with the addition of East Union football and New Albany volleyball. Also, for those of you interested, the Union County band is also represented, as well as the East Union cheerleaders.
I’m proud to have the opportunity to do this publication once again, as it’s a great keepsake for all of the athletes. I appreciate the support from all of the coaches and both school districts in making this possible, because it’s not the easiest thing to put together during the summer.
Now that I’m back to writing a regular column, I want to thank everyone who helped out during the summer, giving me stories and information regarding the Union County basketball tournament. I had a lot of fun researching that this summer, and it’s thanks to so many of you who helped.
There’s plenty going on this weekend, with New Albany football hosting Kossuth tonight and Myrtle holding its annual slow pitch preseason tournament tomorrow. While I’ve enjoyed my time off this summer, I’m ready to be busy again, and am excited for the potential I see from each different school this year.
The Fall Sports Preview will be in next Wednesday’s Gazette, so be sure to pick up a copy of that. I look forward to seeing everyone again at the games!
About Chris Elkins
- Alligator hunting permits go on sale July 19 July 20, 2016
- Ellistown Breezes July 21, 2016
- Hurricane news July 21, 2016
- Returning champs win in domino contest at fair July 21, 2016
- Prayer session was step in right direction July 21, 2016
- Beating the heat July 21, 2016
- Reactions mixed over school ratings July 21, 2016
- New Albany Main Street Association receives 2016 national Main Street accreditation July 21, 2016
- Passion for caring motivates new doctor Matthew Rhinewalt July 21, 2016
- Has city got a deal for you! July 21, 2016
- Miranda Mora: my boss was needing CMS-40B earlier today and saw ...
- BRYNN11SCHMIDT: my family was looking for CMS-40B earlier today an...
- janifar soloman: Our experts know all the perfect way to solve your...
- GerryGorel820: I totally agree with the all questions you raised....
- PHYLLIS OPPERMAN: Savvy suggestions , I Appreciate the facts - Does ...