Blue Springs planning
The Town of Blue Springs has a big task ahead in preparing for development expected in the area because of the new Toyota manufacturing plant.
An urban planning consultant told the Board of Aldermen this week that it is important to move ahead on planning, zoning and building codes.
Mike Slaughter of the Oxford-based Slaughter and Associates, said three things need to be done soon: Appoint a planning commission, adopt the international building code and consider property maintenance codes.
We agree with Slaughter’s thoughts. Blue Springs, with its recent annexation, has grown significantly in both size and population.
The board has taken the right first step in beginning a search for candidates for a planning commission.
It is important to prevent willy-nilly unplanned and unregulated development near the plant that would result in the area becoming an eyesore. Problems created by such development are expensive to fix after they occur.
We know that it seems like a lot to accomplish in a short time in a town the size of Blue Springs, but it is important to the town’s future to make the right choices now.
The same can be said for the Union County Board of Supervisors. Strong zoning and land use regulations need to be put in place in the county, too.
About Chris Elkins
- City will try for Christmas parade again next Tuesday at 6 December 6, 2016
- County supervisors hire three employees, discuss potential logging problems December 6, 2016
- Main Street Association sponsors Christmas tree lighting ceremony in Cooper Park December 6, 2016
- City sets new Christmas parade date for next Tuesday December 6, 2016
- Scenes from Myrtle’s Christmas parade December 6, 2016
- Museum, civic center to have holiday events this weekend December 9, 2016
- Old Gazette building going down after 44 years December 9, 2016
- Armed robber hits check store December 9, 2016
- West Union Homecoming Court December 9, 2016
- Postponed Christmas parade set for Tuesday December 9, 2016
- Kaylyn Havrilla McClinton: I realize this comment was posted over two weeks a...
- Myke Britt: Someone asked "what has happened to our country"...
- Nonie: Margaret Gwendolyn Roberts McCraw - My Aunt Margar...
- Caleb Frederick: This is a great idea!...
- jonathan makeley: Jim Hedges 2016 If you are interested in joining t...