Blue Springs planning
The Town of Blue Springs has a big task ahead in preparing for development expected in the area because of the new Toyota manufacturing plant.
An urban planning consultant told the Board of Aldermen this week that it is important to move ahead on planning, zoning and building codes.
Mike Slaughter of the Oxford-based Slaughter and Associates, said three things need to be done soon: Appoint a planning commission, adopt the international building code and consider property maintenance codes.
We agree with Slaughter’s thoughts. Blue Springs, with its recent annexation, has grown significantly in both size and population.
The board has taken the right first step in beginning a search for candidates for a planning commission.
It is important to prevent willy-nilly unplanned and unregulated development near the plant that would result in the area becoming an eyesore. Problems created by such development are expensive to fix after they occur.
We know that it seems like a lot to accomplish in a short time in a town the size of Blue Springs, but it is important to the town’s future to make the right choices now.
The same can be said for the Union County Board of Supervisors. Strong zoning and land use regulations need to be put in place in the county, too.
About Chris Elkins
- New Legion Auxiliary officers July 27, 2016
- Eastern Lights July 28, 2016
- Ellistown Breezes July 28, 2016
- Cora Sanders turns 98 July 28, 2016
- Baptist Union County selects Service First Champion July 28, 2016
- Baptist Union County’s HealthPlex transitions to new owner July 29, 2016
- Youth production to ‘dazzle’ audience this weekend with selections from Disney markings. July 28, 2016
- Martintown bridge complete, road open again July 28, 2016
- There is much we didn’t know about millionaire Paul Rainey July 28, 2016
- Young Valley to bring ‘alt-country’ sound to weekend concert series July 28, 2016
- Miranda Mora: my boss was needing CMS-40B earlier today and saw ...
- BRYNN11SCHMIDT: my family was looking for CMS-40B earlier today an...
- janifar soloman: Our experts know all the perfect way to solve your...
- GerryGorel820: I totally agree with the all questions you raised....
- PHYLLIS OPPERMAN: Savvy suggestions , I Appreciate the facts - Does ...
Subscribe to Blog via Email
- Baptist Union County’s HealthPlex transitions to new owner
- Youth production to ‘dazzle’ audience this weekend with selections from Disney markings.
- Martintown bridge complete, road open again
- There is much we didn’t know about millionaire Paul Rainey
- Young Valley to bring ‘alt-country’ sound to weekend concert series