Blythe named East Union girls’ basketball coach
The timing is finally right for Josh Blythe, who takes over the girls’ basketball team at East Union.
Blythe pursued the job before eventually taking the slow pitch softball position last school year. With the departure of Shelly Parman to Nettleton, the school choose to stay in house, with Blythe taking the position.
“I was at Guntown coaching, when I was originally asked if I was interested, and I said yeah. I went through the process, but it wasn’t the right time for me to come,” Blythe said. “I ended up taking the softball job here, and Shelly came and then left for Nettleton earlier this summer. They came to me last month and asked if I would do it, and that’s where I’m at now.”
Blythe takes over a program that has only won three varsity games over the last two seasons. The bright spot is an up and coming junior high program, which won the Union County championship last season, as well as some returning talent on the varsity squad.
“Obviously, I think three wins in the last two years, the future will be bright with the junior high girls we have coming up,” Blythe said. “They won the county championship, and there’s some ability there to play.”
“I watched them earlier this week, and they’re definitely heading in the right direction. It will be fun to watch them. If I can instill in them to just play hard and not get down and play hard for 32 minutes, they can will themselves.”
Assisting Blythe is former Myrtle standout Charlie Medlin-Porch. Porch previously worked at East Union, assisting with the softball program before returning to Myrtle as a teacher last year.
“That was one of my requests when I took this job; I wanted an assistant,” Blythe said. “I had Charlie on my mind, and she obviously was very successful at Myrtle, winning four or five state titles in softball and cross country, so she knows how to compete and how to win. She’s very good with the girls, a great motivator, so I think it will be big having her here.
Blythe will continue to coach slow pitch softball and baseball for the school.
About Chris Elkins
- Alligator hunting permits go on sale July 19 July 20, 2016
- Ellistown Breezes July 21, 2016
- Hurricane news July 21, 2016
- Returning champs win in domino contest at fair July 21, 2016
- Prayer session was step in right direction July 21, 2016
- Beating the heat July 21, 2016
- Reactions mixed over school ratings July 21, 2016
- New Albany Main Street Association receives 2016 national Main Street accreditation July 21, 2016
- Passion for caring motivates new doctor Matthew Rhinewalt July 21, 2016
- Has city got a deal for you! July 21, 2016
- Miranda Mora: my boss was needing CMS-40B earlier today and saw ...
- BRYNN11SCHMIDT: my family was looking for CMS-40B earlier today an...
- janifar soloman: Our experts know all the perfect way to solve your...
- GerryGorel820: I totally agree with the all questions you raised....
- PHYLLIS OPPERMAN: Savvy suggestions , I Appreciate the facts - Does ...