Children’s health fair
Hundreds of children and their parents will descend on Baptist Memorial Hospital-Union County Saturday morning for the annual Back to School Health Fair.
One of the largest children’s health fairs in Mississippi, which traditionally has been designed for children ages 4 to 12, has been expanded to include children from birth to 12.
A children’s corner for kids under five featuring materials from the Excel by 5 early childhood education program, has been added this year in the hospital’s dining room.
Well more than a 1,000 people, including as many as 500 children, are expected at the hospital for a free health check, dental check, vision screening and a variety of other activities. The fair is held from 9 a.m. to 11:30 a.m.
Nancy Kidd, director of marketing and physician relations at the hospital, said the goal of the fair is to catch early health problems, provide lots of information about nutrition and safety and have fun while doing it.
In addition to the screenings, educational information will be available on topics such as backpack safety, germ control, immunizations, internet safety, nutrition, and seatbelt safety, and dental care.
Various emergency medical vehicles will be on display. The hospital also will be offering free hotdogs, drinks and snacks. School-age children will receive a free backpack.
This free program, which has been going on 23 years at the hospital, is another example of the importance of having a responsible, non-profit hospital in our community. Baptist puts its focus on community health, not profit.
We applaud Baptist for its impressive commitment to a community children’s health fair.
About Chris Elkins
- New Legion Auxiliary officers July 27, 2016
- Eastern Lights July 28, 2016
- Ellistown Breezes July 28, 2016
- Cora Sanders turns 98 July 28, 2016
- Baptist Union County selects Service First Champion July 28, 2016
- Baptist Union County’s HealthPlex transitions to new owner July 29, 2016
- Youth production to ‘dazzle’ audience this weekend with selections from Disney markings. July 28, 2016
- Martintown bridge complete, road open again July 28, 2016
- There is much we didn’t know about millionaire Paul Rainey July 28, 2016
- Young Valley to bring ‘alt-country’ sound to weekend concert series July 28, 2016
- Miranda Mora: my boss was needing CMS-40B earlier today and saw ...
- BRYNN11SCHMIDT: my family was looking for CMS-40B earlier today an...
- janifar soloman: Our experts know all the perfect way to solve your...
- GerryGorel820: I totally agree with the all questions you raised....
- PHYLLIS OPPERMAN: Savvy suggestions , I Appreciate the facts - Does ...
Subscribe to Blog via Email
- Baptist Union County’s HealthPlex transitions to new owner
- Youth production to ‘dazzle’ audience this weekend with selections from Disney markings.
- Martintown bridge complete, road open again
- There is much we didn’t know about millionaire Paul Rainey
- Young Valley to bring ‘alt-country’ sound to weekend concert series