Lee Roy Tate Obituary
Lee Roy Tate
Lee Roy Tate, 89, of Randolph, Va., passed away on Thursday, Aug. 2, 2012. Roy was born at home in Union County to Lee Roy and Willie Gertrude Martin Tate. He graduated Myrtle High School in 1941, a class of 9. He was enlisted as a private into the Army Dec. 28, 1942 at Camp Shelby and served 18 months as a drill sergeant at Fort Lee, Va., later deployed to Guam, Saipan and New Caledonia being honorably discharged in 1945 having attained the rank of first sergeant. While serving at Ft. Lee, Va., he married Blanche Marie Thomas of Richmond, Va. on Oct. 16, 1943 – a marriage lasting 68 years.
After discharge and returning to his wife and 11 month old son the family lived in Richmond, Va., moving later to Chesterfield County. While later residing in Powhatan County. Va., he retired from Unijax Paper Company, Richmond, Va., in 1984 after 30 years to spend his remaining years involved in building projects, landscaping, mowing grass, visiting with and enjoying family, friends and neighbors at their homes in Powhatan and lastly at Randolph Va.
“I am grateful to my parents, sweet wife, family and all the many people who have treated me kindly. I have been fortunate all my life.”
Roy was predeceased by his wife, parents, his sisters Hattie Lula Heaton, Jewel Lee Kitchens, Annie Mae Luckett, and Kittie Mae Childers.
He is survived by his son Roy Thomas Tate and wife Marilyn of Fuquay Varina, N.C.; grandchildren Josh, Andrew, Sara and Nicolas; great-grandchildren, Naomi Grace, Everett and Winston; son, Robert Wayne Tate and wife Jeannie of Ashland, Va.; grandchildren, Holly Collins, Matthew and Anna; great- grandchild, Lynlee Collins; sister, Peggy Ann Bush of Memphis, Tenn.
A memorial service will be held at 3 p.m., Thursday, Aug. 9, 2012, at Drakes Branch Baptist Church of Drakes Branch, Va. Arrangements will be handled by Brooks Funeral Home, of South Boston, Va.
Visitation will be at 2 p.m., Thursday.
A graveside service will be held at 11 a.m., Saturday, Aug. 11, 2012, at the Old Glenfield Cemetery in New Albany. United Funeral Service is in charge of those arrangements.
About Chris Elkins
- City will try for Christmas parade again next Tuesday at 6 December 6, 2016
- Register now for NEMCC spring classes December 6, 2016
- Thanks for keeping ‘Sharing at Christmas’ something to look forward to December 6, 2016
- We still need help to Share at Christmas December 6, 2016
- Officials welcome funding for expanded emergency communications December 6, 2016
- Scenes from Myrtle’s Christmas parade December 6, 2016
- City sets new Christmas parade date for next Tuesday December 6, 2016
- Main Street Association sponsors Christmas tree lighting ceremony in Cooper Park December 6, 2016
- County supervisors hire three employees, discuss potential logging problems December 6, 2016
- MEC’s Mississippi Connection tour visiting here Wednesday December 6, 2016
- Kaylyn Havrilla McClinton: I realize this comment was posted over two weeks a...
- Myke Britt: Someone asked "what has happened to our country"...
- Nonie: Margaret Gwendolyn Roberts McCraw - My Aunt Margar...
- Caleb Frederick: This is a great idea!...
- jonathan makeley: Jim Hedges 2016 If you are interested in joining t...
Subscribe to Blog via Email
- Scenes from Myrtle’s Christmas parade
- City sets new Christmas parade date for next Tuesday
- Main Street Association sponsors Christmas tree lighting ceremony in Cooper Park
- County supervisors hire three employees, discuss potential logging problems
- MEC’s Mississippi Connection tour visiting here Wednesday