Lee Roy Tate Obituary
Lee Roy Tate
Lee Roy Tate, 89, of Randolph, Va., passed away on Thursday, Aug. 2, 2012. Roy was born at home in Union County to Lee Roy and Willie Gertrude Martin Tate. He graduated Myrtle High School in 1941, a class of 9. He was enlisted as a private into the Army Dec. 28, 1942 at Camp Shelby and served 18 months as a drill sergeant at Fort Lee, Va., later deployed to Guam, Saipan and New Caledonia being honorably discharged in 1945 having attained the rank of first sergeant. While serving at Ft. Lee, Va., he married Blanche Marie Thomas of Richmond, Va. on Oct. 16, 1943 – a marriage lasting 68 years.
After discharge and returning to his wife and 11 month old son the family lived in Richmond, Va., moving later to Chesterfield County. While later residing in Powhatan County. Va., he retired from Unijax Paper Company, Richmond, Va., in 1984 after 30 years to spend his remaining years involved in building projects, landscaping, mowing grass, visiting with and enjoying family, friends and neighbors at their homes in Powhatan and lastly at Randolph Va.
“I am grateful to my parents, sweet wife, family and all the many people who have treated me kindly. I have been fortunate all my life.”
Roy was predeceased by his wife, parents, his sisters Hattie Lula Heaton, Jewel Lee Kitchens, Annie Mae Luckett, and Kittie Mae Childers.
He is survived by his son Roy Thomas Tate and wife Marilyn of Fuquay Varina, N.C.; grandchildren Josh, Andrew, Sara and Nicolas; great-grandchildren, Naomi Grace, Everett and Winston; son, Robert Wayne Tate and wife Jeannie of Ashland, Va.; grandchildren, Holly Collins, Matthew and Anna; great- grandchild, Lynlee Collins; sister, Peggy Ann Bush of Memphis, Tenn.
A memorial service will be held at 3 p.m., Thursday, Aug. 9, 2012, at Drakes Branch Baptist Church of Drakes Branch, Va. Arrangements will be handled by Brooks Funeral Home, of South Boston, Va.
Visitation will be at 2 p.m., Thursday.
A graveside service will be held at 11 a.m., Saturday, Aug. 11, 2012, at the Old Glenfield Cemetery in New Albany. United Funeral Service is in charge of those arrangements.
About Chris Elkins
- County budget adopted with no change September 22, 2016
- Urchins come from behind to take down Bears September 22, 2016
- Union County runners enjoy top five finishes at Saltillo XC meet September 22, 2016
- First inning flurry leads to West Union win September 22, 2016
- Urchins host New Site on homecoming September 22, 2016
- Urchins run over Royals September 24, 2016
- Lady Urchins bomb Baldwyn in division play September 22, 2016
- School board races shaping up September 22, 2016
- Bank donates clock to Cooper Park September 22, 2016
- County still among lowest in unemployment September 22, 2016
- Jim Hall: i'v read both of mr. coffeys' books, love them b...
- Seth Vincent Flake: New Albany and the people behind the scenes are do...
- Jeremy Cable: They also need to allow for a more eclectic musica...
- Darren Byles: Better yet, why aren't they punished for not foll...
- Darren Byles: "According to Strawn, Union County schools receiv...