The New Albany Board of Aldermen has taken a first step in improving the promotion of tourism in the city.
The board has named a seven-person committee to develop a comprehensive, long-term plan for tourism and promoting tourism. The committee is an outgrowth of the tourism advisory board, created years ago, but allowed to languish in recent years.
Named to the committee were Joe Marshall Davis, Betsey Hamilton, Lynn West, Mike Staten, Phil Nanney, Amanda Kent and Mary Jennifer Russell.
We have stressed the importance of creating a comprehensive promotion plan for some time. And with the completion of the Tanglefoot Trail in the next few months, it is doubly important that we present a more unified tourism promotion effort.
That doesn’t mean we haven’t done a good job with creating and promoting some events. The Union County Heritage Museum has built programming and events that are the envy of many other communities. The New Albany Main Street Association has been effective in creating events that bring more people downtown. The Union County Development Association continues to stage a successful RiverFest. And the BNA Bank Park is primed to attract even more events – and tourists – with its expansion.
But overall promotion, not geared to specific groups or events, has fallen by the wayside. It has been sort of the purview of the development association, but with little money to support either it or the Welcome Center that the association is responsible for.
We think a marketing plan for tourism, and the money to support it, is of primary importance if our tourism economy is to thrive. The committee is a good first step.
About Chris Elkins
- Urchins run over Royals September 24, 2016
- Eastern Lights September 29, 2016
- The Playhouse September 29, 2016
- New web site allows better public access to campaign finance reports September 29, 2016
- Church honors first responders September 29, 2016
- East Union opens division play at Byers September 30, 2016
- Headed to postseason September 30, 2016
- East Union Attendance Center 2016 Homecoming Court September 29, 2016
- City sales revenue continues upswing September 29, 2016
- First solar energy farm here gets PSC approval September 29, 2016
- Jim Hall: i'v read both of mr. coffeys' books, love them b...
- Seth Vincent Flake: New Albany and the people behind the scenes are do...
- Jeremy Cable: They also need to allow for a more eclectic musica...
- Darren Byles: Better yet, why aren't they punished for not foll...
- Darren Byles: "According to Strawn, Union County schools receiv...