Gene Smith Obituary
Malcolm E. “Gene” Smith, 85, of New Albany, died Wednesday, Aug. 15, 2012 at his residence. He was born Feb. 5, 1927 in Union County to the late Wiley Smith and Velma Bishop Smith. He was a veteran of the U.S. Army having served during World War 2. He was a retired brick mason, and employee of the City of New Albany Gas Department. He was a member of the Pleasant Hill Baptist Church.
Services were at 2 p.m., held Thursday, Aug. 16, 2012 at the United Funeral Service Chapel with the Rev. Terry Rodgers, Rev. Randy Rinehart, and Rev. Lou Zemek officiating. Interment was in the Glenfield Memorial Park. United Funeral Service was in charge of arrangements.
He is survived by his wife Betty Chism Smith of New Albany, three step daughters Brenda Richey, Betty Potts, and Carol Rodgers, two sons Scotty Smith and Mike Smith, three step-sons Eddie Medlin, Don Medlin, and Kenny Potts, and four grandchildren, a host of step-grandchilren and great-grandchildren that he loved dearly.
He was preceded in death by his parents, a step-son Jimmy Dale Medlin, and a brother Curtis Clinton Smith.
Pallbearers were Larry Chism, Sammie Chism, Richard Chism, Dock Chism, David “Buck” Hale, Jason Buskirk, and David Richey. Honorary pallbearers will be Houston Richey, Tommy Wilhite, Wade Chism, James Tollison, Billy Bevill, Don Staten, Van Staten, and Norman Hill.
Visitation was from noon to 2 p.m. Thursday at the funeral home.
In honor of Mr. Smith, United Funeral Service, Inc. will fly the flag of the United States Army at the funeral home during visitation and service.
About Chris Elkins
- Urchins host Hamilton in Thursday’s home opener August 25, 2016
- Macedonia news August 30, 2016
- Hurricane news August 30, 2016
- Center Hill Baptist Church news August 30, 2016
- IRS warns of back-to-school scams; encourages students, parents, schools to stay alert August 30, 2016
- Local schools do well in ACT test results August 30, 2016
- County sets public hearing for coming year’s budget August 30, 2016
- Union County Health and Rehab receives top rating from CMS August 30, 2016
- American Legion to sponsor Patriot Day program Sept. 9 August 30, 2016
- Labor Day holiday to affect community services August 30, 2016
- Seth Vincent Flake: New Albany and the people behind the scenes are do...
- Jeremy Cable: They also need to allow for a more eclectic musica...
- Darren Byles: Better yet, why aren't they punished for not foll...
- Darren Byles: "According to Strawn, Union County schools receiv...
- Lego MiniFaulkner: Also worth a look: http://www.knightsgambitvineyar...