Gene Smith Obituary
Malcolm E. “Gene” Smith, 85, of New Albany, died Wednesday, Aug. 15, 2012 at his residence. He was born Feb. 5, 1927 in Union County to the late Wiley Smith and Velma Bishop Smith. He was a veteran of the U.S. Army having served during World War 2. He was a retired brick mason, and employee of the City of New Albany Gas Department. He was a member of the Pleasant Hill Baptist Church.
Services were at 2 p.m., held Thursday, Aug. 16, 2012 at the United Funeral Service Chapel with the Rev. Terry Rodgers, Rev. Randy Rinehart, and Rev. Lou Zemek officiating. Interment was in the Glenfield Memorial Park. United Funeral Service was in charge of arrangements.
He is survived by his wife Betty Chism Smith of New Albany, three step daughters Brenda Richey, Betty Potts, and Carol Rodgers, two sons Scotty Smith and Mike Smith, three step-sons Eddie Medlin, Don Medlin, and Kenny Potts, and four grandchildren, a host of step-grandchilren and great-grandchildren that he loved dearly.
He was preceded in death by his parents, a step-son Jimmy Dale Medlin, and a brother Curtis Clinton Smith.
Pallbearers were Larry Chism, Sammie Chism, Richard Chism, Dock Chism, David “Buck” Hale, Jason Buskirk, and David Richey. Honorary pallbearers will be Houston Richey, Tommy Wilhite, Wade Chism, James Tollison, Billy Bevill, Don Staten, Van Staten, and Norman Hill.
Visitation was from noon to 2 p.m. Thursday at the funeral home.
In honor of Mr. Smith, United Funeral Service, Inc. will fly the flag of the United States Army at the funeral home during visitation and service.
About Chris Elkins
- New Legion Auxiliary officers July 27, 2016
- Eastern Lights July 28, 2016
- Ellistown Breezes July 28, 2016
- Cora Sanders turns 98 July 28, 2016
- Baptist Union County selects Service First Champion July 28, 2016
- Baptist Union County’s HealthPlex transitions to new owner July 29, 2016
- Youth production to ‘dazzle’ audience this weekend with selections from Disney markings. July 28, 2016
- Martintown bridge complete, road open again July 28, 2016
- There is much we didn’t know about millionaire Paul Rainey July 28, 2016
- Young Valley to bring ‘alt-country’ sound to weekend concert series July 28, 2016
- Miranda Mora: my boss was needing CMS-40B earlier today and saw ...
- BRYNN11SCHMIDT: my family was looking for CMS-40B earlier today an...
- janifar soloman: Our experts know all the perfect way to solve your...
- GerryGorel820: I totally agree with the all questions you raised....
- PHYLLIS OPPERMAN: Savvy suggestions , I Appreciate the facts - Does ...
Subscribe to Blog via Email
- Baptist Union County’s HealthPlex transitions to new owner
- Youth production to ‘dazzle’ audience this weekend with selections from Disney markings.
- Martintown bridge complete, road open again
- There is much we didn’t know about millionaire Paul Rainey
- Young Valley to bring ‘alt-country’ sound to weekend concert series