Gene Smith Obituary
Malcolm E. “Gene” Smith, 85, of New Albany, died Wednesday, Aug. 15, 2012 at his residence. He was born Feb. 5, 1927 in Union County to the late Wiley Smith and Velma Bishop Smith. He was a veteran of the U.S. Army having served during World War 2. He was a retired brick mason, and employee of the City of New Albany Gas Department. He was a member of the Pleasant Hill Baptist Church.
Services were at 2 p.m., held Thursday, Aug. 16, 2012 at the United Funeral Service Chapel with the Rev. Terry Rodgers, Rev. Randy Rinehart, and Rev. Lou Zemek officiating. Interment was in the Glenfield Memorial Park. United Funeral Service was in charge of arrangements.
He is survived by his wife Betty Chism Smith of New Albany, three step daughters Brenda Richey, Betty Potts, and Carol Rodgers, two sons Scotty Smith and Mike Smith, three step-sons Eddie Medlin, Don Medlin, and Kenny Potts, and four grandchildren, a host of step-grandchilren and great-grandchildren that he loved dearly.
He was preceded in death by his parents, a step-son Jimmy Dale Medlin, and a brother Curtis Clinton Smith.
Pallbearers were Larry Chism, Sammie Chism, Richard Chism, Dock Chism, David “Buck” Hale, Jason Buskirk, and David Richey. Honorary pallbearers will be Houston Richey, Tommy Wilhite, Wade Chism, James Tollison, Billy Bevill, Don Staten, Van Staten, and Norman Hill.
Visitation was from noon to 2 p.m. Thursday at the funeral home.
In honor of Mr. Smith, United Funeral Service, Inc. will fly the flag of the United States Army at the funeral home during visitation and service.
About Chris Elkins
- Eastern Lights December 1, 2016
- The Playhouse December 6, 2016
- Governor lifts burn ban December 6, 2016
- Deadline for letters to Santa is Friday, Dec. 9 December 6, 2016
- Center Hill Baptist Church news December 6, 2016
- Scenes from Myrtle’s Christmas parade December 6, 2016
- City sets new Christmas parade date for next Tuesday December 6, 2016
- Main Street Association sponsors Christmas tree lighting ceremony in Cooper Park December 6, 2016
- County supervisors hire three employees, discuss potential logging problems December 6, 2016
- MEC’s Mississippi Connection tour visiting here Wednesday December 6, 2016
- Kaylyn Havrilla McClinton: I realize this comment was posted over two weeks a...
- Myke Britt: Someone asked "what has happened to our country"...
- Nonie: Margaret Gwendolyn Roberts McCraw - My Aunt Margar...
- Caleb Frederick: This is a great idea!...
- jonathan makeley: Jim Hedges 2016 If you are interested in joining t...
Subscribe to Blog via Email
- Scenes from Myrtle’s Christmas parade
- City sets new Christmas parade date for next Tuesday
- Main Street Association sponsors Christmas tree lighting ceremony in Cooper Park
- County supervisors hire three employees, discuss potential logging problems
- MEC’s Mississippi Connection tour visiting here Wednesday